Menu
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fibre phone upgrade - switching off "features"

My elderly mother has been "upgraded" to this new fibre phone thing. From time to time, her calls are now being interrupted by the bleeping noises resulting from the call waiting feature. This is causing worry, concern and upset. Does anybody know how to turn call waiting off, please?

She is also worried about having her calls interrupted by someone attempting to join in via the 3-way calling feature. Likewise, does anybody know how to turn this off, please?

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fibre phone upgrade - switching off "features"

Hi jrperry,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that the call waiting feature noises is causing your Mother some concern during calls. 

So we can be 100% sure that it is the feature causing these noises, can you please check her online My Virgin Media account to see if the feature is present and active on the account? 

We would need to speak with the account holder directly and clear security checks to be able to remove a calling feature from the account - if your Mum is the account holder, is there any way that she can contact us directly so we can help? All of our contact methods can be found here if she'd be unable to message us directly from here. 

Let us know

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your message.

Yes, these features are enabled on her new fibre phone. Specifically, I have heard the call waiting "bleeping" noise and I can confirm that is what it is.

I think it would cause a considerable measure of inconvenience for her to ring up VM to get them switched off. For example, the "hold" time for ringing up customer services is quite long at the moment and I would have to be with her when this was done. I was anticipating that switching off the features could be done by entering a code on the number pad, as is the case, I understand, with the equivalent on BT and was certainly also the case with the previous "standard" VM phone, and I am VERY surprised and disappointed that this might not be the case with VM.

So if this really can not be done by entering a code on the number pad, then I can only describe the way that these features have been implemented on the new fibre phone setup as entirely thoughtless, and I am going to have to ask you to find another way.

Best regards

0 Kudos
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Further to my last, in fact none of the "contact us" methods you provided in your link give any way of addressing the problem that I have raised, so. if you cannot provide more information, then there is no alternative to me ringing in.

Best regards

jrperry

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you had a look at the settings in the VM phone guide?

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

pg. 11 is call waiting. I believe 21CV phone connections via the hub are Purple Zone (which you can check yourself on the actual line see pg. 3)

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jrperry

Thanks for coming back to us.

Would you like to remove the feature?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much. I was not aware of this document. It would appear from this that #43# turns off call waiting, and that 3-way calling cannot be activated without using the R button, all of which is very useful to know. I think this document relates to the standard phone network that VM are now migrating customers away from, but if these codes have been enabled on the fibre network too, then that would be a complete solution to my problem (and for anyone else who has the same problem too). So I will try it on my mother's phone and report back.

Thanks once again for your helpful reply

Best regards

jrperry
0 Kudos
jrperry
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

John_GS

Yes I would. Spoecifically call waiting and 3-way calling on my mother's new fibre phone. But I have also seen goslow's message above (see also my message a couple of minutes ago) and am willing to give that a try.

Best regards

jrperry
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us jrperry. 

While the features remain on your mum's account, there is a chance they will remain active. We would need to speak to the account holder in order to get these features removed. 

As mentioned above by Beth, your mum can either create her own account via the forum and contact us here or she can call in on 0345 454 1111 to get the features removed. At times there may be some wait to get through to the team however they are available 8am-9pm each day and there are several times of day where we are not seeing any wait times currently. 

Let us know how things go.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos