cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone line - will that affect future provider change

sorethumbs
On our wavelength

This may be a very simple answer but..

If I go ahead and move to the 'fibre' phoneline as requested, my old fashioned landline becomes disconnected/obsolete.

If I decide to cancel my virgin package in the future and go with an alternative that has fibre and a landline package - will the fact that I've not got a current working 'landline' and number cause any issue?

3 REPLIES 3

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sorethumbs.

Thank you for your post.

Just to confirm, if your concern that you would not be able to return to the standard copper landline service if you went over to another provider?

If so, all providers will be migrating to the fibre landline service by 2023 so returning to the copper service would not be an option unfortunately. More information on the switchover can be found here.

Hope this helps. If you do have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Beth

sorethumbs
On our wavelength

Thanks Beth

I didn't realise it was going to change for everyone anyway, just thought it was a Virgin thing.

Many thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sorethumbs 
Just to point out. The telephone service change is nothing to do with the line being “fibre”. Indeed, most of VMs network is coaxial cable from cabinet to customer. Even where customers have FTTP the stage within the home is coax. It’s just a sales gimmick to make it sound modern.

What this is a change to is a digital system using a hub based IP system as opposed to a separate copper wire phone service. Even moving to another provider with the current system would still require an Openreach master socket & wiring as VM operates on a totally different network & exchange system to Openreach.

After the changeover you will still have a landline with the same number, & will still be able to transfer that number to another provider in the same way you can now.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks