cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone

anw194
Joining in

Hey all, we've received our 'rah rah' leaflet and Fibre Phone dongle from VM.  Talk about providing the bare minimum for converting your phone, the place where our phone enters our property is about 20 feet away from the hub, they provide a 2 inch adapter.

But more seriously, Virgin are wrecking a reliable system in order to be able to...what?  Save even more money is it?

Currently in the event of a blackout, or you can't pay your electricity bill, or are on a pre-pay meter or some other more unfortunate occurance to the local power grid that takes out mobile phone towers, such as a terrorist attack.  The landline will still work, as these have their own power supply.

Yet now, in any of these scenarios your phone will also be cut off.  No communication with local emergency services.

What an absolute disgrace you are VM.

6 REPLIES 6

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @anw194 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Glad to hear that you have received our communication and equipment for the new phone switchover. All information, queries and concerns along with FAQ's can be found here 👉 Digital Voice Switchover | Virgin Media Help. Any issues the next steps and processes will be found there to ensure a successful switchover. 

Sabrina

anw194
Joining in

As this is Ofcom driven, my remark about Virgin saving money...still stands. I'm sure they didn't fight it or may have even petitioned for it (will we ever know).  For anyone else who thinks this is a disgrace please sign this petition: https://www.change.org/p/save-our-landlines-save-lives

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM should offer to modify your home phone wiring so you can continue to use your phone sockets after switchover. VM should offer to do this free of charge as part of the switchover process.

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

Virgin are offering to modify the wiring.  Not sure if it is free…

Do you have any extensions for additional phones? 

For phone extensions to continue to work, you’ll need to book a technician to make some changes to the Virgin Media wiring in your home.  

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

@anw194 FWIW I’ll be glad to see the back of the landline.  Ours was often crackly and required a few visits down the years to fix it.  I just renewed my contract and unplugged the phone and instantly saved £10/month.