cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone

RD60
Joining in

I have been notified that my home phone will be switched to fibre today and have the adapter but I live in an older property where my phone connection is in a different room to the hub.

Does anyone know how I can get the adapter to work?

8 REPLIES 8

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi RD60 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting. Welcoming you with big virtual arms onto our community forum 😊.

In order for the adapter to work you will need to make sure, the line goes into the adapter and the adapter goes into the back of the hub in the TEL1 port.

Let us know how you get on. 

Thank you. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

RD60
Joining in

Hi Arrisa_H

Thank you for your welcome  🙂

That's what I'm struggling with because the hub is in the bedroom and the phone line is downstairs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RD60 wrote:

I have been notified that my home phone will be switched to fibre today and have the adapter but I live in an older property where my phone connection is in a different room to the hub.

Does anyone know how I can get the adapter to work?

You plug your existing phone into the adapter, & then the adapter into the hub. The downside is that the phone has to stay where the hub is unless you buy a long extension cable or invest in cordless handsets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Thank you for coming back to me  RD60 😊.

As Nodrogd and Goslow, have mentioned we can move the base so your landline and hub are in one room.

I will be private messaging you if you are interested, we can look into this together. 

Please watch out for the envelope ✉.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I read post #1 and #3 that the OP is requesting his/her existing phone extension socket(s) are linked to the new phone connection on the hub so that all equipment can remain in its existing locations.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The OP has not said or implied that there is an extension socket, just that the phone and hub are in different rooms, and has not asked that they should be colocated. A good solution for a case like this is to invest in cordless handsets, and something like the twin handset DECT Panasonic KX-TGC412EB can be bought for about £40.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The OP hasn't said or implied they would be willing, or able, to splash out £40 on a new set of phones either.