cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone

whatgoeson
Tuning in

Is there an app to use the fibre phone from my desktop which is connected to my Virgin fibre broadband or do I need to use an external VOIP service provider if I want to use my computer to make and receive calls over my Virgin fibre connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@whatgoeson wrote:

Is there an app to use the fibre phone from my desktop which is connected to my Virgin fibre broadband or do I need to use an external VOIP service provider if I want to use my computer to make and receive calls over my Virgin fibre connection?

Virgin's new service is 21CV. This just replaces the copper twisted pair between the street fibre node & your house with the existing copper coax cable. The service is IP based, but only travels as far as the headend telephone exchange. At no time does the call use the internet, & is carried separately on VM's network. You would have to use a true VoIP provider to do what you want to do.

I would point out that if you drop your VM landline & port the number out to another provider the cost savings are minimal, as you lose a whole shed load of discounts on your Broadband service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@whatgoeson wrote:

Virgin's new service is 21CV. This just replaces the copper twisted pair between the street fibre node & your house with the existing copper coax cable. The service is IP based, but only travels as far as the headend telephone exchange. At no time does the call use the internet, & is carried separately on VM's network. You would have to use a true VoIP provider to do what you want to do.

I would point out that if you drop your VM landline & port the number out to another provider the cost savings are minimal, as you lose a whole shed load of discounts on your Broadband service.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks