cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Phone issues - Technician?

El-Presidente
Dialled in

Hi - one for VM Admins, Mods or knowledgeable users:

I have two issues now I've found out more about the switch to fibre home phone connection via my Hub 4...

1) The hub is not in a convenient location to connect the typical DECT phone unit - wiring and placement would be better if I can reuse my existing socket in another room away from the hub.

2) I have a home alarm system with an alert auto-dialer. Is it correct that this will no longer function after the change over? If so, what do Virgin plan to do about this?

Regards,

ELP.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for those details El-Presidente.

No we we have arranged a visit for you. Would you be able to let us know how we got on.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey El- Presidente, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

We can look at relocating the router for you if you wish, with the latter this is something you would need to take up with the manufacturer they may be able to still offer it. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

First, I don't need the router moving - I need to preserve the location of my router and phone base unit in different rooms. What are you offering to assist?

Secondly, the Alarm auto-dialer is hard-wired (same as an extension phone). Please advise clearly what options you can provide so that I don't loose this essential security feature.

The phone will now have to be plugged into the router it won't work without doing so, unless you want a big wire going round the house we can look at moving the router close where you would like the phone going.

With this we don't actually offer this or guarantee this so you would need to check with the manufacturer to see if they are still offering this feature with VOIP lines. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

El-Presidente
Dialled in

Wow.

First, you already externally wire my router connection to your 'junction' box AND you seperately wire my phone socket to your own box. Are you saying you CAN'T or WON'T externally route my necessary phone connection from the current router location to the current phone socket location?

My auto-dialer would need a wired connection and it can't move from it's location in mt garage. Before I start asking alarm contractors or kit manaufacturers about VOIP compatibility I need to know if Virgin are simply going to refuse to wire the router connection out to my dialer - again this is working today and will only stop working based on a change you are forcing on me.

Own the problems and help me as a customer.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

1) VM should be able to link the phone socket on your hub to the existing telephone sockets (free of charge) as part of the switchover process. This is arranged on here routinely many times each week.

2) You should be able to connect an alarm with a voice-dialler (where the alarm dials out to a programmed number, or numbers, and plays a recorded message for an alert).

The issues I have read about on here in the past are when the alarm is dialling out via a modem connection and transmitting data (rather than voice) to an alarm centre which, in turn, sends out a SMS text message to the owner. Some past problems have mentioned that the way the connection via the hub processes the audio means the data can sometime not be transmitted reliably.

We aren't saying any of them.

We can look at sending a tech out to see what changes we can make for you, however without the tech seeing this we can't promise anything.

If this is something you would like please let me know and we can look at getting a tech sent out. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@El-Presidente wrote:

Wow.

<snip>

When you are talking to alarm providers about the connection, don't mention the term VOIP in the conversation.

From the customer's POV, the connection from the back of the hub isn't a true VOIP service. The socket on the back of the VM hub is designed to behave like a telephone wall socket.

From past topics on here, alarm providers have not been backwards in coming forwards in trying to use the phone switchover as a chance to sell customers new alarm services and hardware.

You are probably already aware that, if the hub is not functioning, then the landline from the hub won't function either. Under those circumstances the alarm won't be able to dial out. Some people are happy to live with this limitation.

Others who want a higher level of security have opted for changes to their alarm systems to dial out on a mobile connection or have a mobile connection included as a failover should the landline go down.

As for getting the wiring modifications done, much will depend on how your existing cabling is arranged. Another factor will be the skills and attitude of the individual VM tech who turns up to do the work. Some topics on here describe tech's turning up to do the work who have no knowledge of how to do the task and no wish to do the work either. Other topics describe an excellent experience from the technician to modify the phone connections when the visiting tech has been knowledgeable and keen to do the job. In those cases the work was done without any issues.

Sometimes the socket rewiring is done as a separate task once the switchover is completed as the old incoming phone line from the street should be disconnected from the master socket to prevent the new connection via the hub being fed back out into the street when the sockets are linked to the hub's phone socket.

Suggest you get the tech booked in and see what happens.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello El-Presidente

Please let us know if you still need help with the relocation.

Gareth_L

El-Presidente
Dialled in

@ goslow Too late - I already called my alarm system installer/maintainer. They simply said that they no longer provide or recommend standard PSTN speech dialers and all their systems are now Wifi/SIM based (one or both). They advise that I have a visit and look to upgrade. 😞

@Gareth_L I'd like a technician visit please to look at the wiring needs to keep my kit in place.