I received my Virgin Fibre Adapter a couple of days ago and read through the leaflet.
Problem 1 - My hubby can't believe what we received will do anything. Our switchover is 14th Nov. So won't make any effort to do anything. If we don't do anything, will the broadband stop working after 14th Nov. He'll be believing it then if it does lol?
Problem 2 - Our modem is in the 1st floor back bedroom and the house phone is in the ground floor front room, at the front of the house. So how do I get around this issue without trailing leads all over the house please ? I can't put the modem anywhere else due to the set up at home. I don't want the house phone upstair, which ironically, I only have becaue of broadband and hubby's geriatric sister calls on it once in a blue moon.
Problem 3 - Our cheapy promotional offer ends on 8th Jan 2023 and I won't be able to afford the full price so will shop around for a new provider. I will try haggling first. Frankly it isn't worth the earache to get a slower broadband contract. I have a teenage daughter !! So it isn't really worth having a Virgin Media engineer coming round for a couple of months of use.
Is it likely that all broadband providers will be going Fibre in the future ?
I lost my letter advising of the change over date, but correct me if i'm wrong, but can I end my contract early with Virgin with no penalty ? I'm sure the letter said that.
Thanks for any advice and sorry for all the questions.
All providers are now switching to a phone-via-router connection
Ask VM to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.
VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.
Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)
Do I need to book a technician visit?
You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...
Since your hub and current phone socket are a long way apart, you might want to consider getting a cordless phone system instead. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use a cordless satellite handset downstairs where required. It should be possible to set the base station and handset in the bedroom to be silent for anyone sleeping there (check that feature for the proposed model of cordless phone).
Hi Lizzieloo75, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting.
There's quite a few different things listed here in your post so I am going to tackle them individually to avoid confusion.
1) Your homephone switchover will take place on 14th November. When this happens your landline will need to be connected to the hub via the adapter provided in order to make and receive calls. Your traditional landline sockets will no longer be the connecting point for your landline handset.
This will not affect your broadband connection.
You can read more about the switchover here:
2) The current location of your Hub. Your landline will need to be connected via the hub, however there are a couple of different options you can consider.
- We relocate your socket so that both the hub and the landline can be located elsewhere within the home. There is usually a nominal tech call out charge for this of £25 but if you need this as part of the switchover process we can get the fee waived for you.
- We keep things as they currently are but you change to a wireless phone system, with the main base handset next to the hub and one of the extensions wherever works best for you in the home! (We can also get you set up with the old telephone sockets as hub landline extensions if needed during an appointment).
Just let us know which option you would prefer and we can help arrange this!
3) Your current package coming to an end. Generally speaking we do not support with package changes via the forum. If you no longer wish to keep your services due to the change of your landline service you of course can choose to leave without penalty. However, if you go ahead with the change over this would no longer be applicable. If you need to check how long is left on your current contract you can via MyVM: https://virg.in/myvmapp or we can check this for you after confirming a few details via PM. Please note, we sadly are not able to price match offers from other providers, but any agent supporting you to consider package options will offer the best deals available to you! We also don't 'haggle' for prices, we will always offer you the best available options, and these alone.
If we are already supporting you with booking the switchover we can support with detailing a few package change options for your consideration. Just let us know if you are thinking of going ahead with the switchover and we will send you a PM to offer support.
Let us know what you think! All the best.