cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Network -Landline Switchover

Grifftec124
Joining in

Hi , I contacted Virgin Media today in relation to the new Fibre Network (Landline) Hub, I asked about  my two phone lines which I have at present, one phone upstairs and one down . I asked if I need to book an Technician for the upstairs phone, they informed me "Yes" and would be a charge of £25 ?? .. I asked ..."as I haven't asked for this upgrade why do I did to pay for it" .... Customer Service informed me this is Virgin Media procedure.

As an OAP and have been with Virgin Media for over 10 years and I have been a 02 Customer for more than 28 years, I think they need to look at their procedure's and look at ways for assisting customers.

with the cost of living forever increasing  I am at present considering my options and may have to look at alternative suppliers .   

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you mention "two phone lines" do you mean you have two separate lines i.e. you use two telephone numbers at your property? Or do you mean you have one telephone number and you make use of telephone extension sockets around your home (one socket upstairs and one socket downstairs) which are both on the same telephone number?

The cut/paste reply for the latter situation is ...

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Grifftec124 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

While I can understand that you haven't asked for this phone line switchover to take place, the agent you spoke to has correctly advised that there would be a £25 charge for any changes needed as part of this switchover.

However, I'll be happy to take a look at this further for you. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

@Nathan_B wrote:

Hi there @Grifftec124👋Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

While I can understand that you haven't asked for this phone line switchover to take place, the agent you spoke to has correctly advised that there would be a £25 charge for any changes needed as part of this switchover.

However, I'll be happy to take a look at this further for you. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

Absolute rubbish!

Now I’m sorry Nathan but you have just outright lied to a customer haven’t you? It is fairly obvious that the OP is talking about having multiple extensions to her phone in various rooms, and under the OFCOM rules, the supplier is obliged, legally obliged, to make reasonable cable changes to accommodate this free of charge for the 21CV switchover.

Now I can understand the offshore staff, doing their best to screw a few extra pounds out of a customer, (what they are vulnerable, well who cares, seems like VM don’t for a start) as they are, no doubt incentivised and ‘encouraged’ to do, but then again the offshore CS staff have about as much understanding and usefulness as a house brick?

But you, you are based in the UK, no and are a VM employee, and here you are telling an OAP; a vulnerable customer, that “tough, you need to fork out £25 because we need the money more than you do”!

For crying out loud, get a grip and just read what your posts actually say about you as a person, but I’ll stick my legal hat on now, you are a VM employee and furthermore are in a customer facing position. As such you are legally an ‘agent’ for VM, what you say, within reason, can be construed as the official VM position, ie, in this case, ’everyone of our customers needs to pay us for changing the phone ports’. Fair enough, except that is in direct opposition to the OFCOM regulations which VM signed up to, which means that VM are in a position of either backing you up (won’t end well for them), or admitting that you were wrong, and were either not properly trained (they won’t admit that), or you simply went rogue and posted all sorts of stuff contrary to company policy.

Tell me, is your CV up to date? Because if push were to come to shove, guess who’s going to take the fall!

Hey @Vinegar,
Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I can confirm if a call out fee is needed for either a relocation/re-wire as part of the 21CV (phone via router) change over, there would be no cost.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

So you are confirming that should a tech visit be required to rewire wall sockets so that the customer experience post the 21CV switch should be effectively the same as prior to it, then said visit is free of charge, yes?

Ergo, you admit that Nathan’s response above, where he did seem to imply that the (vulnerable and elderly) customer should pay for this, was completely wrong and was, arguably, misleading to a customer? Something that the various regulators do not look kindly on

Hi @Vinegar 

I refer you to my previous reply - any call out relating to 21CV, such as relocation/re-wire/modification is free of charge.

Have a lovely evening.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Excellent, and a clear and unequivocal response.
Doesn’t exactly gel with what your colleague claimed, above does it? Almost as if the training and ‘singing from the same hymn sheet’ has gone a bit awry - anyhow, doesn’t matter, surely the point of this forum is to provide valid assistance to customers, which you have now done, so all is good.

And Nathan getting it completely wrong, well that’s a matter for his bosses to sort out and a consideration of the training and advice you are all given, no😉

Hi Goslow,  thank you for your reply ...  I have one incoming phone line (the old BT sockets) which I just plug in to the wall one down stairs and another socket upstairs .

Hi Nathan_B , thank you for your reply ... I am considering my options with VM and may cancel my landline account as I don't use it a lot ie about 3-4 times a year at the most.

Regards

Grifftec124