Menu
JPWSun
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fault on landline incoming calls - rings once, crackles then hangs up.

Incoming calls on my telephone are faulty, when someone calls me it rings once, crackles a bit and then goes dead. The outgoing ring tone is fine and outgoing calls unaffected. I have tested the line with the online tool and it says all equipment is working fine. I have checked the white box where the phone is plugged into the wall - this is the main socket opposite where the phone and cable comes in from outside where the phone connects with the BT socket type connector. It looks fine, inside the wires appear to be fully in tact.

I've had intermittent trouble with crackling line etc for a couple of weeks and now seems to be permanently stuck as per above.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fault on landline incoming calls - rings once, crackles then hangs up.

Good afternoon @JPWSun

Thank you for your post. 

I have just taken a look into this and we are going to need to send an engineer out to you, I have booked this for the next available time and date.  You can find that by logging into your my virgin media account. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
JPWSun
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

An engineer came out, he wasn't here long but changed some old kit in the junction box and the phone worked once when tested then he left.

After he left I have tried this a few times and the fault has come back within an hour of him leaving, so problem not fixed sadly.

From my own research, I understand that this may be an intermittent ring trip fault which causes the exchange to think a call has been answered due to a short in the hardware somewhere from the exchange to the property. Running tests I get a proper incoming connection around 25% of the time, the rest of the time the phone rings anywhere from 1 to six times before it cuts out with some minor crackling and then goes dead. If what I have read is correct the engineer's test calls send a higher signal and so are less likely to trip the short?

There is only one main box in the property that connects directly to the cable outside. As the indoor kit has been checked and a new box installed it can't be a fault inside or due to legacy/worn out kit. The engineer did not check outside. The outside cable runs along a wall and then into cement at the base of a wall in the drive before reaching the road, the visible sections look fine to me. Outgoing calls remain unaffected.

I'm paying over £120 a month for various stuff in my VM package so really want to get this sorted.

Oh, and please ask before arranging an engineer's visit. I appreciate the quick call out last time but I would prefer to be consulted before arrangements are made.

0 Kudos
JPWSun
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Link to example calls made recording a mobile on speaker phone:

https://soundcloud.com/user-94418406/virgin-media-phone-fault-examples

The right hand ring is from the caller's end (a mobile) and the slight vibrate on answer is the mobile too.

The weird creaking/crackling when the incoming ring stops is on the line at the caller's end.

0 Kudos