Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Failed landline number port to Virgin Media

To whom it may concern,

I would be grateful for any assistance that you can provide as to rectifying a failed landline number port by Virgin Media.

On 16/03/20, I arranged to have my landline telephone number which we’ve had for over 35 years transferred over to Virgin Media from Plusnet. I was told by Virgin Media this port has been arranged for 25/03/20.

On 20/03/20 I receive a text from Virgin Media saying they are unable to port my home telephone number has its disconnected from my current provider Plusnet (which is wasn’t as it was active and working).

I call Virgin Media on 20/03/20 and they say they will try another port on 28/03/20.

On 25/03/02, I find my Plusnet landline is not working so assume the transfer is taking place after all.

On 26/03/02, I call Virgin Media to ask why my original telephone number isn’t on my Virgin Media landline yet. They say they haven’t done anything since the failure and to call Plusnet, so after speaking to Plusnet I find the number port request from Virgin Media to them resulted in them closing my account on the 25th as Virgin Media should have ported it before then!

Plusnet have stated they can’t do anything once the port has been requested by another provider. So Virgin Media have basically resulted in me not having that number on a landline as they requested the port and failed to mention this would happen if the port failed.

As far as I understand it Plusnet have now released the number back to BT Openreach and all Virgin Media have to do is request it.

Yours faithfully

A frustrated new customer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failed landline number port to Virgin Media

Hi RingTone123 VM field tech here, really sorry to hear about this, we are offering a text service there is a slight delay on the reply as we are really busy at tho moment 07533 051809 if you put your account number on the text message somebody will get back to you, I hope this helps good luck!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I texted that number in the morning and at 08:55 the SMS chatbot stated it would transfer me to "one of the team" and I have still not had a reply from the team via SMS.

I instead called in the afternoon, waited on hold twice for around 45 mins for the call then to cut dead twice!

Fortunately I got through on the third attempt after again another 40 min wait.

The person was being very helpful and has said they have escalated the matter, but all they could do was fill forms out and put it in the system.

So I have no idea if I will get the number back and if I do when I will get it back.

We are in the increased risk category when it comes to COVID-19 and not having our landline number is highly inconvenient as obviously all our family and friends mainly use this number to contact us and its the number our GP and others mainly use to contact us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What appalling service Virgin Media provide, it’s now day 11, I still don't have my landline number and it doesn't seem like Virgin care at all about its vulnerable customers.

I'm contacting Ofcom, BBC and the newspapers, basically anyone who will listen and report on how Virgin Media can get your landline cut off and then do nothing about resolving the issue they cause!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI RingTone123 we will send you a private message. 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Have you read my private message I sent yesterday?

I would like you to confirm if Virgin Media are currently doing anything now with BT Openreach regarding my landline number which Virgin Media have made me lose for nearly a month now!

As BT Openreach have stated they are currently working with Virgin Media, hence why the number hasn't gone back to the range holder.

RingTone123

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you got any updates rergarding your landline porting becasue im in a similar situtation ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media have said there is nothing they can do! Which is utter crap, they can get it back by begging the range holder, in my case its BT. BT are obviously under no obligation to assist Virgin Media but as you can see on this forum they have gotten the number back for other VM customers in exactly the same situation where the number is disconnected and given back to the range holder. I can only presume BT will charge them for this privilege and Virgin Media don't want to cough up the cash!

Virgin Media have said the part of BT Openreach that they normally contact to assist with this is currently closed due to the current pandemic.

So I guess your options are to persist with Virgin Media, which depending on your exact situation may take sometime or join back to the company who own the number and ask them to give you that number.

0 Kudos