cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed landline migration; Hub3 "Telephony (Disabled)", no phone service at all

Paul_Webb_60
Joining in

Hi,

On 1 Aug 22 my landline was switched to VOIP. I was told via a letter that this would occur on that date, and I was provided with a supplied cable/adapter to plug in my phone to the Hub after the migration was completed. I got an email to tell me that migration has occurred.

After connecting the phone to the Hub via the adaptor, there is no dial tone and I can't dial out, nor do incoming calls cause anything to happen. Looking at my Hub3 control panel, Status Overview; it tells me that Wireless is good, Internet is good, but Telephony is Disabled. There appears to be no setting available to me to change this to Enabled (assuming that this is the problem). 

I have re-booted the Hub several times. I have not hit factory reset - I am concerned that I will then need to reconnect many devices and that I may still not fix the problem. I will only reset it if that is 100% necessary to fix the problem or if am assured that I won't have re configure every device to reconnect them.

I have searched the Virgin website for help - total fail there. I've wasted an evening on this already.

Can anyone provide the correct actions to recover from this failed migration?
It seems to be a known problem from what I have read in other posts - but I can't see anything in them that explains clearly the necessary actions needed to fix the situation. 

Cheers,
Paul.

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Paul_Webb_60

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry for the confusion here. This would be because it's not migrated over yet.

I'll send you a PM now to book this in.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello John_GS,

Not sure how this all forum thing works... I managed to create an account that bears no resemblance to Virgin Media. So if I can do that, I don't I know you are a member of Virgin staff? And I have a personal message to send over details of my account particulars - but I'm not about to do so when I don't really know who I'm dealing with - well intended or not. Also, is seems that if I hadn't been switched yet then there wasn't a real problem to deal with - other then a communications and expectation setting one, which shouldn't require my personal details. 

As it turns out, without any further actions other than a bit of patience, my phone now works - as long as the internet connection works (buts another ticket). 

So after all the faff to get re-wire and plug in the phone to the hub, and trying to fix a non-problem, it dawns on me that 'land line' is no longer a 'land line'. That my voice is going down the internet with my other data - and with all my other voice over IP apps (Skype/Messenger/WhatsApp/Etc) - so what I am paying for now with the 'land line'? Will there be a substantial reduction in cost of the 'land line' service as this infrastructure is no longer being used? 

Again, thanks for the reply, but it wasn't necessary and had comms from Virgin been better neither of us would have wasted our time. 

I'm off to reconsider why I am now paying for phone number on infrastructure no longer used and for which I only get spam calls.

Thanks, again.

Kind regards,
Paul. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Paul_Webb_60,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your response and I completely understand your hesitation when replying to John's Private Message. However, if you click on either his or my profile, you'll be able to see that we are verified Virgin Media staff. If needed, I can have the Community Forums Moderators message you to confirm this? 🙂 John would have asked you to confirm some details so we could locate you on our systems and see if you're having any system issues.

Our Landline system is changing, so instead of being connected to the wall socket, it is now connected to your Broadband Hub. This creates a more sturdy connection, as the copper wire network is currently outdated and can cause connection issues. The landline will still work as normal, it is just connected to a different power source.

If you're unhappy with having landline on your package, you can contact our team directly on 150/ 03454541111 to discuss any package amendments, as we're unable to do this on this platform. You can also text our team on 07533051809 to chat to us about your package. 

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs