Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Failed Home Phone Number Port

Hi, have seen a few similar posts, so here goes nothing!!

Was with VM for around 15 years. Went to Sky 'to try it out' in Nov 19 as VM wouldn't give me a reasonable deal on new contract.  Number ported to Sky OK.  Sky absolutely terrible - lots of internet issues, too long to go into, but released from contract and returned to VM in March 2020.  Signed up online, home install, ticked box to port number.  All gear arrived, installed and set up ok by me.  Number not ported.

When I contacted VM, they said I needed to contact Sky.  Sky told me to contact Openreach.  Openreach told me number porting on hold due to Covid 19.  would start up again un June, and to contact VM again then.  Contacted VM early June, and have been given run-round ever since.  Told it would be done, week later, text message saying it wouldn't be done.  Spoke to complaints, told I would get a call back within 10 days - no call or messages.

Spoke to various 'teams' since then, and have just come of the line to the 'Most Senior Complaints Manager' in whichever call centre it may be telling me there is nothing VM can do as Sky disconnected the number.  Having explained previous calls to all parties, and requested complaint escalated i.a.w VM Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, he basically said that I could do what I wanted, I should write to Head Office and complain, as it is not VM's fault or their problem.  "There is nothing VM can do, YOU need to call Sky or Openreach and get them to re-activate the line - they may charge you, and then we can allocate it back to you" was not the response I was expecting.

Having had the number for over 20 years, all I want is some assistance from VM in getting it back following their failure to port it in March.  Feeling incredibly angry and stressed at the lack of help from anyone. 

I appreciate that others with similar problems have had them sorted through this forum - If a friendly UK VM employee would like to contact me with some way forward through this I would be eternally grateful!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Failed Home Phone Number Port

Hi Jollyjak,

I'm sorry to hear that your number wasn't ported to us and provided that the number is active, we should be able to port it. The reason you may have been advised that we couldn't is because if you've already disconnected the line with Sky and Sky has cease the number back to BT, we wouldn't be able to port it.

I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can take a look at the number in question and get the facts to see what's happened. Please reply back to it,

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lisa, 

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for trying to sort this problem out. You have been far more helpful and communicative than many of your colleagues who simply told me it ‘wasn’t their problem’, and ‘there is nothing we can do’.  I know where I will come for help again in future! 

Jollyjak

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for those words, I will pass them onto Lisa. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi VM team,

Having a similar issue myself. I moved out, cancelled my virgin package. My grandmother set a new one up and wanted the existing number kept.

Engineer called and port was in progress, but it’s been over 8 days now and then number still hasn’t transferred over to my grandmother and she’s stuck with a new number she doesn’t want. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whatever you do, do not let the old number be disconnected - as soon as the number has been, it will be a nightmare to get it back.  If your old contract is still running get onto VM ASAP and keep complaining.  Don't be fobbed off by them saying they can do it later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lewcooper,

Thanks for your post.

Apologies that you're still waiting on the number to be transferred over to your grandmother.

I can see that we're waiting for BT to respond to our routing change request and once that's done we can complete it from our side. 

Please feel free to pop back in a few days if you'd like an update.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Melissa. Why are BT involved? The number was with virgin beforehand, so thought it would be quick and easy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

With landline numbers, the Operator who owns the range (BT in this case) needs to route the number from their network onto our network using a location (like a postcode) that we give them. Each area is different and it's how Telephony companies control the routing. 

Even if you may not have physically changed property, if we have changed the network details on our side, we will need to tell BT of the new location.

This is industry wide standard and you don't need to worry about it. It's the little leg work we do behind the scenes. 

Hope this helps to explain things.

Thank you,

Melissa

0 Kudos