Menu
GaryC173
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

External Home Phone Line rewire?

Hi,

We are considering having a composite front door and attached window and frame fitted however all external wiring has been drilled through the wooden window frame. I have removed the doorbell wire and the feed for the porchlight and rerouted then. This leaves the main incoming telephone lines from the telephone pole and the Virgin Media phone line. Both of which come through the window frame and are mounted on the inside of the window frame. I understand that these do not belong to me and therefore I cannot reroute them but do I need both Virgin Media and Openreach to be called out? I have tried ringing 150 but people appear to be having more luck on here.

Many thanks

Gary

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: External Home Phone Line rewire?

Hello

Virginmedia lines are not routed from a telephone pole they are come underground with the cable for your broadband and would normally be routed through a hole in the outside wall. Have a look on the outside of your premises for a brown or grey omnibox and that and on the inside you will see a white box where the broadband connection plugs into and should have  a VM branded master socket as well.

For the lines coming from a telegraph pole that would be openreach to contact which Virginmedia do not use or have any relationship with.

If the Viriginmedia cables then VM will move these and that will be charged at £99 as it isn't a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
GaryC173
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJ_shadow 1966

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the openreach lines come from the telephone pole. They come through the window frame by my front door and into an old style oval junction box fitted to the window frame and a wire from here goes into a new style square BT style master socket with a jack plug sited next to it on the window frame. The VM lines as you rightly state come underground to the brown Junction box through the wall and into my front room and off to the TV and router. However another wire runs from their brown junction box to the front door and through the window frame and into the new style square BT master socket with the jack plug. So from your post it looks like I shall have to contact and pay both Openreach and VM to move these wires although they appear to be dependant on each other. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you will need vm to move the vm line that will cost £99.

i can't comment about the open reach one.
0 Kudos
GaryC173
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcyberax

I wonder if one of the VM Team can organise that from this post 🙂

as the VM support lines are horrendous and this is not a fault so does not translate to the questions asked by the answer machine

fingers crossed

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

they can do that. But it can take them about a week to get to the post.
They will arrange the engineer for you
0 Kudos
GaryC173
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info

I think I will take my chances on here, already waited on the support line twice for an hour only to be cut off

Fully understand what with covid an all and I can't get the door replaced this side of Xmas anyway

Had another thought the cable was installed in 1995 so that wire to the telephone box might be redundant now LOL

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi GarcyC173, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I would be happy to get the appointment arranged for you 🙂

As I am going to need to ask some account specific questions I will pop you over a private message now.

This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Speak soon, 

Nat
0 Kudos