cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extensions to VM landline

DougW12
Tuning in

I have just ordered a landline to add to my VM hub. During the order process I was asked if I had phone extensions and I told them I did. However, looking at the set up for the fibre landline one phone has to be connected to the router with the new cable. But how do I link up the existing two wire extensions in the house to the router?

26 REPLIES 26

Thank you!

I do have an extension socket near the router and I think I have a splitter somewhere.

So the splitter/adapter goes in the phone socket in the router, then the phone plugs into the adapter using the VM cable. Then a second cable connects the splitter to the existing extension socket, which then connects the router to the existing phone extensions.

Is that how it works?

Thanks

Doug

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the example photo from the link at message #10 above, VM have used a lead which has a smaller RJ11 connector which goes direct into the VM hub's phone socket without the adapter (RJ11 plug is bottom LHS of that picture).

On the other end of that adapter lead is a 'pass-through' BT adapter. That goes into a nearby phone socket to 'back-feed' the connection into the home phone extension sockets. The fact it is pass-through means you can still plug in a phone to that socket.

VM might use other methods depending on the VM tech who turns up on site to do the work.

Worth noting that VM should offer you the modifications to the extension sockets free of charge as part of the switchover process. If you decide you want the sockets modifying a few months later on after switchover they will charge you £25 for the work as a non-fault call out.

Hello Doug,

If you would like us to arrange for the sockets to be updated please let me know and I can arrange this for you, I would just need to send you a Private Message to get some details 🙂

Rob

Hi Rob

I would be very grateful if you could arrange this. Yesterday when I was ordering the service they did say if I needed help with the installation I should contact them to arrange it, but has taken up 30 hours to get to speak to someone recently. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Doug

Not a problem DougW12, I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from to get this arranged for you.

Look forward to hearing back form you.

Rob

Thank you for confirming those details DougW12, I have booked a visit for the next available slot which you can view here via the MyVM app. If there are any issues with the date or time please let me know and we can look to alter this to something more suitable.

Please be aware that any changes would result in a delay to the visit as this was the earliest available, there also needs to be someone over the age of 18 in the property at the time of the visit.

Rob

Hi Rob

Is it order reference 19229596 for the 13th? It says it is for TV, not phone.
Otherwise I can only see the order reference for the delivery of the equipment on the 11th.

Thanks
Doug

That is the appointment date DougW12, it is noted that it is in regards to Landline so ignore that it says TV 🙂

Rob

Thank you for clarifying that.

Are there any explanations of what the engineer will do? (YouTube etc,) I like to understand how things are done.

Doug

I'm not sure DougW12 but they will be happy to explain the process upon arrival and throughout the process 🙂

Please let us know how the visit goes.

Rob