Menu
LoobyLouLou
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Extending VOIP line to down stairs

Hi all

I'm upgrading my broadband next week and also having a new landline. At the moment my hub is upstairs in the office and my telephone is down stairs connected to a BT master. I would like to keep it this way.

Instead off pulling up carpets, moving furniture and running 20m of extension internally, could I just do this

1. rj11 to rj45 3m
  2. Cat5/6 wall socket ----------------- new Telephone socket Master or Slave?
  3. plug phone in 

Will this work or am i missing something?

Louise

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending VOIP line to down stairs

Have you got the Cat # data cable already in place and are wanting to use that instead of adding a new telephone cable?

Are you an existing VM customer and are getting rid of a BT landline and transferring it to VM landline?

The VM hub connection for the phone is not VOIP from the POV of the customers' equipment required. The telephone connection on the back of the hub emulates a regular phone socket. A normal phone plugs into the back of the VM hub via an adapter (which changes the BT plug on the end of the phone cord into a RJ11 plug to go into the back of the hub).

One of the most common alternatives to the above is to plug in a cordless phone base station into the back of the hub and use cordless extensions elsewhere and dispense with the phone wiring.

0 Kudos
LoobyLouLou
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

A bit more information. I live with my landlady, she has/had BT's uber fast 1-7mbs "broadband" and phone line. I enquired the other week why she just doesn't connect to my virgin account and get rid of her internet. So she phoned up BT to cancel and they said she'll lose the landline too. No problem I said, i'll get you a landline. Not really realizing the phone connects to hub nowadays.

So the landline is for her and I don't need it, I've not use one for calls since i my my first mobile in 1996.

There is an old Telewest phone socket down stairs.

I presume I could just a phone extension outside instead? like this Extension cable 

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you have a VM technician coming to commission the new phone line via the hub, you could ask about getting the old Telewest socket enabled as an extension if that is feasible. This might be a slim chance as one of the regular complaints on the forum after a new VM phone-via-hub installation is that legacy extension sockets were not connected during installation but you could always ask for it. Might just depend on the individual VM person who turns up.

The phone connects into the VM hub via an adapter as below (which VM should supply)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/diagnostics/home-phone-not-working/phone-connected-hub

which then allows a normal phone to be plugged in.

If you have to DIY the extension, then you would have to look at a phone extension kit from one of the DIY shops. Most have a moulded BT-type plug/socket pass through adapter on the end of a long length of open-ended cable and that would plug into the hub via the adapter. You would then have to run the cable downstairs and connect the extension faceplate from the kit for your landlady to plug her phone in.

Third option would be to see if you can get a reputable local installer (such as an electrician, audio-visual, smart-home technician etc.) to put in the extension for you. Rather than running the cable internally they could look at routes outside the house such as up and through the loft etc. If the cable is running outside then outside grade cable should really be used to withstand the elements.

Final possibility would be to get a simple cordless phone twin set. Plug the base station upstairs and set the base station and handset upstairs to silent (the phone would need to have that specific silencing feature for each handset/base so the equipment upstairs did not disturb you). Let your landlady use a cordless extension downstairs with the free VM voicemail on the line.

Would also be worth noting, if you are not aware already, that if there is a broadband outage or power cut then the phone line will not work so your landlady would need to know this as well (also if she has any other equipment which uses the landline such as a house alarm etc. that would not be able to dial out either under those circumstances).

As an aside, have you checked out what kind of wi-fi signal your landlady is getting downstairs from your hub upstairs (speed, signal strength and reliability etc.)? The VM hub wi-fi doesn’t have a great reputation for how well it propagates throughout the home. The idea to share the VM resources between you could be beneficial but might also throw up a whole bunch of problems once you actually get into using the VM services between you.

0 Kudos
LoobyLouLou
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

I’ve told my landlady about the potential cut outs, to be honest she only has one because friends and family only ring her on it. 
I have no trouble running cables myself, must of terminated 10s of thousands of RJ45 connections. I have some armoured cat6e spare after running a line up to her summer house.

I will see what happens then the engineer come round next Thursday. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you've got the perfect DIY backup option and materials if the extension isn't installed by the VM technician during the visit. Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

0 Kudos