Menu
Nowtv
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Emergency backup line corded handset provided?

I am shortly due to have BB and phone installed.  You are also providing me with an Emergency backup line, because I am disabled and very reliant on the phone line.  Can I ask, do you also provide me with a corded phone during the installation?  Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Emergency backup line corded handset provided?

Hello

I am afraid that VM do not supply telephones to go with a landline, the battery back unit works with any phone connected to the socket, you are aware that the BBU will only allow 999 or 101 calls over the mobile network, if your phones rely on a mains connection then it would be down to yourself to provide the corded phone.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nowtv
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  I am new to this, so appreciate your reply.  I see, at least it allows me to telephone the emergency services, but I need to provide a corded phone.  So it uses a mobile network, if it goes down, for the 999 calls?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thats is correct, it will continue to work when the internet or power goes down.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GreenReaper
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's odd. On the EBL check out form it states specifically that "You’ll also need a corded handset, which will be provided if you don’t already own one."

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @GreenReaper 

Is there anything that we are able to assist you with today? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
GreenReaper
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not really, Zak - I was just noting that the "helpful answer" above conflicts with what is stated when ordering (which I just did, though not with EBL).

This may have changed in recent years due to government guidance on access in the event of a power cut in relation to VoIP services, notably:

A1.25 For example, if the provider’s solution powers the broadband router itself, then the customer will require a corded phone connected to the router in order for them to be able to access the emergency organisations. We do not consider that it would be proportionate to expect providers to put further additional measures in place to ensure a cordless phone will work in the event of a power cut. However, we would expect the requirement to have a corded phone to be made clear to the customer, and for the provider to satisfy themselves that the customer can access one.

It seems Virgin's solution to this is to provide the required corded phone. The wording suggests it will be provided for free, and this is part of the guidance:

A1.26 Providers should, as a minimum, offer the solution free of charge to those customers who are at risk as they are dependent on their landline.

However I must again note that I have not had such a line installed. Perhaps if @Nowtv revisits this thread, they can tell us their experience.

0 Kudos
Nowtv
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In the end, Virgin credited me, the price of a phone on my account, so I could go out and buy one.  Thanks Virgin for sorting it out.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nowtv,

Thanks so much for the update. We're really pleased to hear that this has all been sorted for you.

If you need anything else at all please don't hesitate to get back in touch from here. We're always more than happy to help.

Kind regards,

Beth

Nowtv
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

0 Kudos