Menu
Ail32
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Elderly parents need help & telephony agents refused to help

My elderly parents who are in voluntary shielding had virgin media installed yesterday.  They were told their phone number would switch over today by the installing engineer.  However today they can't get calls in & although they have a dialling tone they can't get calls out to connect.  The installing engineer was working at the phone when he was in and there were no problems before he arrived. 

Due to the Covid restrictions in this area, I can't get there to help and spent about an hour & half in the queue to speak to an agent to ask for an engineer to come out to help.  He refused to do anything to help saying somebody else would need to go into the house to try to fix it because he refused to send out an engineer to recheck what was done during the installation.  He refused to let me speak to a manager & told me I would need to wait another 24 hours for that but I would be told the same thing.  Leaving my parents for another 24 hours without a phone or resolution

Can you please help....how do can I get my parents phoneline fixed and them back in contact.  They only have a pay as you go back up phoneline.  Beginning to seriously regret moving them over to Virgin and this is only day one.  Please help

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Elderly parents need help & telephony agents refused to help

Hi Ail32, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am really sorry to hear your parents are having issues with their telephone service.  I would like to take a closer look at this on all of your behalf.  To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Ail32
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We no longer require Virgin to resolve the issue that is the subject of this complaint.  Break covid restrictions somebody has been able to get to my parents tonight to help them and resolved the issue.  

When the installer told my parents the phone line would work where it was situated and set up, it appears to be because he had put in some kind of connector attaching a wire coming from the router to a wire he must have believed was connected to the point that the phone was attached to.  But this wire was not connected to anything.  So there was a cable attached to the router for the phone that went nowhere.  Why the phone was not moved next to the router and plugged in direct remains unexplained.  However my parents now have a working phone line. 

I was frantic with worry for my parents, after sitting in your telephony queue for 1.5 hours, and the attitude of the telephony agent, refusing to help unless somebody broke Covid restrictions to travel to my parents, sticking rigidly to his script was exasperating.  He did nothing to calm the situation, merely made a bad situation worse and came across as cold & uncaring.  The call centre staff where I work are trained to recognise vulnerable customer calls & how to handle such calls in a compassionate manner to defuse the situation and help.  This was unfortunately not my experience with your agent.  

However my parents are now able to use their phone, no thanks to Virgin granted, so you can close this ticket.  But thank you for at least responding and offering to help.  Thank you

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Ail3

I am really sorry for this experience.  Since you got the issue resolved, have you tested that can make and receive calls to the ported number?  I am sorry, but I do want to be 100% sure.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Ail32
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Thank you I appreciate you taking this issue seriously and checking fully to see it is resolved.

The phone was tested with 2 incoming calls to make sure it rang out, they could answer & hear the caller. Outgoing calls were also tested with 2 outgoing calls to make sure they could get connected and hear the person they called. We are hoping with these successful calls, that is the issue resolved. Fingers crossed.

But thank you again for responding and restoring my faith in Virgin Media. Have a good evening and stay safe especially if you are onsite.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I usually am on site @Ail32 - I prefer it to working from home, purely because convincing my children that dad's at home, but not really, is difficult.  Convincing my wife that I'm home but not really is impossible:-)

Please stay safe and if remember, if you have any technical queries in the future, I cannot recommend this community highly enough.  Our fantastic community members have a serious wealth of knowledge and experience and they're always willing to lend a hand.  If they're unable to help you resolve the issue then we, the forum staff will always be willing to help.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos