Menu
andybevan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ENGINEER HOME VISIT AFTER LANDLINE NUMBER PORT

I recently had my landline number ported to a VOIP operator as I'm moving soon to another telephone exchange area but wanted to keep my number.

What wasn't made clear to me at the time was that VM regard this as a disconnection - despite me asking for a new "random" landline to be assigned to my account.

This has now been sorted out but a VM engineer is due to visit the house tomorrow to activate the new landline and I've been told he/she needs to install some sort of splitter at the phone point.

Does anyone know what this is and why it's necessary, since I had perfect VM phone service before the number port.

What's changed?

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ENGINEER HOME VISIT AFTER LANDLINE NUMBER PORT

Hi @andybevan

Thank you for your post regarding the engineer visit to activate your landline and the need to install a splitter at the phone point.

Splitters are used if you want to have 2 or more phone on the same POTS line. Filters are used to keep the frequencies used by ADSL out of the ones used by the phone.

I hope this answers your question!

Please let us know how things go with the engineer,

Thanks 🙂

Serena

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But VM do not use ADSL there is no ADSL equipment on the exchanges.

Also i've never heard of splitting a phone line into 2. Only splitting it for more phones on the same line
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ahh okay, my apologies - thanks for the correction @apcyberax !

Please do let us know how things go with your engineer visit tomorrow @andybevan and feel free to ask our engineer any questions you have about the splitter.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
andybevan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But that's my whole question.......WHY do I suddenly need a spitter? All that's happening tomorrow is a new number on an existing VM line......

???

0 Kudos
andybevan
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh I've just had a text (could be from VM....could be from Yodel coz they're mentioned in it) with a "2-hour slot" and a link to this: virginmedia.com/addph which looks like a self-install how-to about plugging a cable into my router. Is that all it is then? Maybe no "engineer visit" after all? Are WM using VOIP now?

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @andybevan

Ahh, I see! So you will be a 21CV landline user, where your phone is plugged into your Hub by the sound of it.

I am so sorry for the mixed messages you have received regarding an engineer visit visit and a splitter.

Please let us know how you get on with your instalation,

Thanks!

Serena

0 Kudos
andybevan
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well...true to VM form......nothing showed up.....despite two texts saying "Great news it's on the way...you'll get a text from Yodel with you 2-hour time slot."

Went on web chat....VERY unhelpful rep called Harshitha who told me she couldn't help and to call CS on 150 from my home phone. 

Duh! I don't HAVE a working home phone.....hence the need for an install kit.

The web bot would have been more use.

Dya spent waiting for non-arrival of equipment......and therefore no activation of upgraded TV package (also due today but dependent on home phone going active apparently)......so pretty fed up with the whole rubbish experience.

But as I wait on hold YET AGAIN for CS, I'm wondering what offers Sky have on at the moment......

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @andybevan

I am so sorry to hear that your delivery has not showed up yet, may I ask what your timeslot was? What does it say when you track your item at https://www.yodel.co.uk/track? Is the item still out for delivery? Sometimes they can arrive a little later outside of their delivery timeslot.

I am so sorry to hear that the webchat was not helpful to you, that's not good. I will pass your feedback on regarding this.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
andybevan
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what happened in the back office but a jiffy bag showed up on Saturday......delivered by Whistl/Royal Mail - NOT Yodel at all! Inside was a cable and and splitter. Plugged one end into phone and other end into hub and all is working fine now!

0 Kudos