Menu
stigemat
Tuning in
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin still support pulse dialing?

Thanks - yes as my original query I can use the phone to dial out on a non-Virgin line. I can receive calls OK just not make them. If it is what it is, then fine I'll live with it, but it would be great to get a definitive answer as to whether I should be able to dial out. Thanks, Heidi

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin still support pulse dialing in London?

Hi Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us on this.

I appreciate you have advised that this is working on other networks but not on ours.

I'm sorry to say don't have any information to confirm or not if this is compatible with our lines for you to make outgoing calls.

Can you borrow a telephone handset from a friend or family member and test this in your master socket removing any other phone you may have connected and test and see if you are able to make out going calls to ensure there is no fault with the line.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Sweeneytoddy
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, can anyone tell me if pulse dialing telephones, such as Bakelite, work using the connection on the superhub?

Since upgrading to new superhub, the engineers informed me that the telephone connection is now on the superhub and my independent line I previously used for virginmedia calls is redundant. I want to buy an old rotary phone but worried it won’t work. I live in Glasgow G66, if this makes a difference. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Raine_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sweeneytoddy,

Thank you for posting and welcome to Virgin Media Community.

I appreciate your query about pulse dialing phone to work with Virgin Media.Go ahead and get your old rotary phone because it will work on your Virgin Media line. 

There are just some reminders for you. If you need to go through any IVR system, your rotary phone won't work. Some of the calling features won't work too like voicemail. But if you have a tone dial phone spare or connected to a different phone socket there's no worries.

Let us know if you need further help.

Feel free to check on the forum boards for helpful tips and troubleshooting guides on all Media services.

Thanks,

Raine_G

Grommett
Tuning in
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My rotary phone is plugged in to my hub 3.0 and I can make outgoing calls.

I rang my mobile so I have my new phone number.  I rang the number back from my mobile, I could hear the line ringing from my mobile, but the phone didn’t ring.  I picked up the receiver and the call connected.  It’s as if the phone is on silent but I don’t think it has the option.  It must be pre-war!

0 Kudos
Sweeneytoddy
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This is the problem I am expecting to find if I buy an old rotary telephone. I don’t think the new line system through a virginmedia hub will work properly with these pulse dialling phones.

i suspected the rotary phone would ring and be able to answer,  but I wouldn’t be able to dial out using the rotary dial, as the hub wouldn’t recognise the dialling pulses?? 

I would like to hear the forum team response to these possible issues?

0 Kudos
Grommett
Tuning in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Update.

i plugged my vintage rotary dial telephone into my hub via an adsl filter and it’s now working perfectly.  Thanks to Graham for his advice on the UK Vintage Radio forum. 

sconlan
Joining in
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,  just bought an old BT rotary phone today and was told it had been modified - but like you I can't dial out but can call the phone.

I was interested to hear you had similar problems and you fixed it but an ADSL filter.

I'd like to give this a go - do I need to purchase any special type of ADSL filter or would any do?  

Finally, did you notice any adverse affects on your broadband speed due to the phone?

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Grommett
Tuning in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Actually I am still having problems.  At the moment I can dial out OK.

If someone calls me it rings but when I pick up they can hear me but I can’t hear them.

Any old ADSL filter will do, most people have one on the ods n sods drawer.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Old phones don't ring because they lack a ring capacitor. You can buy an RJ11 to BT adapter with a ring capacitor from eBay for £4.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection