Menu
icantgetaloggin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do we really need a landline number?

Hiya

I've been toying with the idea of binning my landline number completely, we only get one person that rings us on it and EVERY other call is a spam or scam call.  I report the calls every time I get them with the ICO/ Ofcom, I signed up to the TPS a long time ago but we still get them so what's the point?

The only option I can now see is subscribing to the Anonymous Call Reject, that costs or just binning my home number and saving myself a few quid as well as not getting stupid phone calls every bloody hour! 

Any other pro's or cons I may be missing?

Andy C

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do we really need a landline number?

The only con I can think of is if you need to call Virgin, 150 is a lot easier, personally I just have the ringer turned off and check once a week for messages

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The only way to stop scammers is a call filter or call blocker phone. These guys use spoofed numbers to get around ACR systems & never use withheld.

The only downside is you will have to renegotiate the rest of your package, as the landline is integral to the discounting of your other services. You will also lose any legacy items in your package for the latest equivalent.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A landline number can be useful if you have poor/bad credit.  Saying that, most scoring will likely view any 01/02/03 number as a landline number (I have two VoIP numbers starting with 01).

A landline number is also nice to have if there's a power outage, your mobile phone should cover that these days (assuming it's charged).  Not a issue for most of the UK.

999 also allows the emergency services to get your address easily (Mobiles are much better now than in the past, I think Android even sends GPS data with the call to 999, no idea about Apple).

As mentioned 150.

I would say ABC (Alarm systems) but honestly I think Virgin still don't support that everywhere - plus newer alarm systems now us 3g/4g networks.

If you do end up needing a "local" number, these can be had on VoIP services for about £0.75-£1.50, and you will end up with something that has more features than virgin media, without paying anything on top.

If you do drop your landline number, you'll likely not be able to get that same number back in the future.  You can port landline numbers to VoIP (like PAC for mobile), but expect to pay a transfer fee OR £3~£4 to hold the number.  Virgin sometimes refuse to transfer numbers, even when they agree they sometimes fail, it seems to depend on area and I have never delved into those murky waters.

Virgin could/should block the spam/scam numbers, their phone service is something they are just leaving to die so they don't care.  You can get some phones that have the block features built in.  Even with those products the odd thing makes it through as they often need to "learn" when a new number is being used.  What's funny is when VM lets through spoofed CLID's from their service department, you would think they would at least block that (they might now).  In the past high termination rates incentivised VM to let these calls through, but now those rates are minuscule at best, but they have no desire to revamp the phone system.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is one problem with providers blocking numbers, as the scammers are increasingly choosing to spoof genuine business numbers & residential numbers as well as non existant ones.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993