Menu
Tay
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do virgin use QoS on broadband+phone services (it certainly doesnt sound like it)

I've been back with Virgin for less than a week and I'm already wondering if I made the right decision. 

I suffered the inevitable flakey service during the first 24hrs after provisioning, thats ok, things need to settle down and for the most part it seemed to do just that. a bit high. 

But tonight, my first Friday since coming back, the jitter is terrible,  frankly using the phone is pointless.   We've gone back to using our mobiles. 

Does Virgin even utilise QoS on their circuits to protect voice quality?  I must admit I was sceptical of having voice over my cable circuit but since I use Dect phones poor quality circuit is normally the least of your worries. But hey, I've got 500Mbs what could go wrong?.   

Well, given that voice typically utilises 35k of traffic if using regular voice compression you would think that 500mbs would be enough. 

After recording mostly north of 500mbs all week, tonight its hovering around the 300Mbs mark and voice is next to useless and jitter is all over the shop.  I suspect if I decide to call up and ask what the MOS is it might draw a blank. So hoping somebody here knows ?

As it stands this is not worthy of a voice service.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do virgin use QoS on broadband+phone services (it certainly doesnt sound like it)

the voice doesn't use the internet connection. Also the service doesn't been "settleing down time"
0 Kudos
Tay
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do virgin use QoS on broadband+phone services (it certainly doesnt sound like it)

My service uses Voice over IP.   eg: I have to plug my phone into the connections on the back on the router.

Some old school (arguably more reliable) phone still connect using copper to an old school phone exchange, my service (as it was sold to me) does not. 

So, my question still stands, do Virgin use QoS to protect the voice on circuits where the telephone service is provided over the network connection?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

that's not VOIP its CV21

It just shares the same cable as the internet its not a true voip system.

The same say that DSL/BT fiber share the phone line even though the phone might be analog
0 Kudos
Tay
Dialled in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I see, so, poor line quality of the voice element is not directly related to 110ms of jitter on my data cricut?

Who do I call to get this fixed because its terrible currently?.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

not related to QOS no. but you still may have a line fault
0 Kudos
Tay
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'll give them a buzz tomorrow, tks. 

But as 'luck' would have it, cable is now responsive 550/36.7 and jitter at 1.5ms..   

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Might be out of spec power levels. If you post them from the hub someone can tell you if they look ok or out od spec
Tay
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If I see the jitter issue again I'll grab the logs right away. Not much point now as they seem pretty good.

thanks
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tay, 

Really sorry you've been having some issues with the broadband service and landline, I can assure you it's not the level of service we aim to provide. 

I have checked your account and can see that everything is looking fine regarding broadband but there has been a few quality issues relating to the landline.

However you've advised it's all fine at the moment. If it happens again please let us know and we can take a closer look via a personal message. 

Thanks 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos