cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do virgin offer similar to BT digital voice adapter?

nbennett1970
Joining in

I recently moved from traditional phone line to voip digital phone line from the back of the virgin hub as I was having phone issues (my ancient internal phone wiring seemed to be the issue, after the virgin engineer spent hours trying to trace the problem).  We have a lovely traditional looking (but modern) wired phone we can no longer use as the old internal sockets are disabled. I see that BT offer something called the 'BT digital voice adapter' so old wired phones can be connected to the router, do virgin offer similar?

12 REPLIES 12

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, VM don’t offer a device like this. What they do offer is to connect your old master landline socket to your hub so that any existing extensions remain working. This must be done at the time the line is changed over.

Virgin’s hub based lines are 21CV, but the calls are not routed through the internet currently. They use a separate “circuit” to talk to the headend telephone exchanges. Therefore a WiFi based device is not feasible with this current setup.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

What happens if you connect the old phone to the RJ11 to BT adapter which VM's given you?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello nbennett1970

If you do require an extension socket or further assistance 

please let me know 

Gareth_L

I was very encouraged to hear that existing extensions remain working if the the old master landline is connected to the hub. However under Things to note , the VM adaptor leaflet says, "Devices connected to extension wiring will stop working after your home phone service has been switched." Does your experience confirm that extensions will continue working, if the master phone is connected?

As an aside, my mother has BT WIFI adaptors for her two phones and falls alarm, but they are very unstable. She does not use the direct into the hub adaptor which no longer seems to work at all.

HI mfidler, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

Once the switchover has taken place the service will be provided via the hub and the wall socket will no longer work. 

kind regards, Chris. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@mfidler wrote:

I was very encouraged to hear that existing extensions remain working if the the old master landline is connected to the hub. However under Things to note , the VM adaptor leaflet says, "Devices connected to extension wiring will stop working after your home phone service has been switched." Does your experience confirm that extensions will continue working, if the master phone is connected?

<snip>

Ask VM to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hi mfidler, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue and may need the line extending. 

I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Thanks Chris. Any support in asking VM to extend the line would be appreciated. Otherwise I might need to switch to BT and use WIFI adaptors, which I don't want to do.

Hi @mfidler

Thank you for your further post.

If you could please respond directly to the private message from Chris, this will ensure he gets your reply 🙂

You should see a purple envelope in the top right of the page. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide