Menu
mfarmilo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do some phones have problems with the new Docsis lines

I'm just switching from Virgin Business to residential, and notice that phone lines are now provided through the router. This is also how the Business ones do it, but I wondered if anyone is aware of any phones having problems with this? When I initially switched to Business, I found that my cordless system kept registering phantom missed calls with 'unavailable' numbers - ie the phone didn't ring, it just suddenly said a call had been missed. This would happen at random all day, usually every 15 - 30 minutes. Customer services were no help, every time I asked about it they thought I was complaining about actual calls with no number, When I switched to another cordless system (Panasonic) it stopped happening immediately. The system with the problem was a Gigaset one. I also had another Gigaset system which also did it.

Is anyone aware of problems like this with particular phones?

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do some phones have problems with the new Docsis lines

There are occasional mentions on the forum about issues connecting some phones via the VM hub. These usually relate to problems with caller ID not showing or the phones not ringing for incoming calls. These often seem to be due to problems with individual customer connections and/or connecting older models of phone.

An ordinary telephone phone, which is a recent model, should work on a 21CV connection via the VM hub.

Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi mfarmilo, thanks for your post.

When asking for confirmation on this I was told that most modern handsets should be compatible, there's no set criteria or list of compatible phones unfortunately. 

Tom

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This might not answer your question, but my phone has both a FXO (Traditional landline connected) and a SIP (VoIP) connection. I find that calls sometimes pop up before the phone rings when it comes in via the SIP line.  So if someone starts the call but terminates it straight away then I sometimes get a notification with no ring and a missed call in the log.  The Landline doesn't seem to ever do this.  So perhaps it's less to do with a ghost call and more to do with a call that's been terminated nearly straight away.

I am not sure what type of standard the voice call uses, but perhaps it's the same type of "problem" I see sometimes.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
mfarmilo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the thoughts there about calls hung up before it would normally ring. But I don't think that could be it, as the sheer number of the 'ghost' calls as I call them is a lot more than I normally receive. It can easily happen 20 or more times a day, even during the night at the same frequency, with the 2 Gigaset cordless systems I have (2 base systems, not just 2 handsets of course), and it doesn't happen at all with the Panasonic one.

0 Kudos