Menu
Gill501
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Do I need the BT line anymore?

We've had Virgin Media services for nearly two years now and our home phone is connected to the back of the Hub (Home Hub 3.0 I think!) with no issues. We are doing some internal decoration work in the house and have a BT telephone line coming from the pole in our garden, into the loft where it meets a little white junction type box then strangely the telephone cable was routed out the loft, around the top landing and all the way down the side of the staircase to what looks like a BT Master socket in the hall.

What I would like to know is: do you think it's safe to remove this cable given that we no longer use a BT/ADSL line? I would want to remove purely for cosmetic reasons so really don't want to mess anything up if I rip it out 😂 Am I correct in saying that Virgin does not use this line at all as I believe my landline phone now uses the router to connect? 🤔 Thank you.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I need the BT line anymore?

Hello

You are correct that the VM telephone line doesn't use the BT line, as too if you can remove the BT equipment the best people to ask that question would be BT themselves.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do I need the BT line anymore?

you certainly dont need it for VM - not sure what BT's T & C's state about where their wiring begins and ends - a simple solution would be to un-staple all the wiring back to the loft and re locate it up there - that way you are effectively not changing the wiring

that way if you ever decide to leave VM you can put it back for use

Tony