cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable call waiting on fibre landline?

charliebrown44
On our wavelength

Hi.

Can I disable call waiting myself and if so how? I want the caller to know I'm engaged and not to hear a ringing out tone. I need to do this for an elderly VM neighbour as if it just rings out when he's chatting on a call it leaves callers worried as we're not sure if he's ok and we DON'T KNOW HE IS ON A CALL, and he doesn't understand call waiting and would not even hear a beep every 5 seconds. I just want to disable it from his cordless handset or from his online account as I have access to it. A simple solution please not just a copied and pasted link to explain the fibre optic switchover reasons and included features, I already know that. Just hope to see a code to enter on phone or a only customer services can do this reply.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If the person's VM landline is provided via the connection on the back of the VM hub, this is referred to as a connection in 'Purple Zone'.

#43#

should permanently disable call waiting.

If you want to know any more then refer to the phone user guide page 11 in the page footnotes

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/Your-VM%20Phone-Guide.pdf

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If the person's VM landline is provided via the connection on the back of the VM hub, this is referred to as a connection in 'Purple Zone'.

#43#

should permanently disable call waiting.

If you want to know any more then refer to the phone user guide page 11 in the page footnotes

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/Your-VM%20Phone-Guide.pdf

Yes plugged into rear of hub3. Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. And test it.

Hi @charliebrown44,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and your query. 

Glad to see that @goslow was able to assist you with this. More information on Landline Features can be found on our website.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance going forward. We're here if you need us.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Just to confirm the #43# input disabled call waiting and upon testing it I got the engaged tone as he was on a call which he confirmed later. Result!. So just needed to press dial, #43# and you hear a voice confirmation that call waiting is disabled.

Many thanks.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Great to hear - thank you for letting us know! 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I am having this problem too, my mother cannot hear the bleeps and the 2nd caller just get the phone ringing out rather than engaged.  The is worrying when I know my mother should be at home and her phone is just ringing out.

Why does the 2nd caller not get a message to say 'the caller knows you are waiting' at least I would know my mother is busy on another call, rather than me worrying that something is wrong and she cannot get to the phone. I have tried the ≠43≠ and it does not work.

Hey @JanetWils,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue, would you be able to confirm what is happening when you follow the steps provided in the link above?

Joe

JanetWils
Joining in

Yes I had the same problem  with my elderly mom 

dial …. Call button then  #43#.   Voice will confirm call waiting has been removed. 

Yes it’s sorted you have to dial as if making a call the #43# then voice confirming it’s disabled. Ive tried it and now the 2nd caller gets the engaged tone rather than the phone just ringing out.