Menu
richardshughes
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Digital Voice / VoIP

Hello,

I have added the phone service onto my Virgin Media package (to be installed on the 11th December). I'm wondering if it's possible to use Virgin Media's Digital Voice / VoIP with IP phones? Is it an absolute requirement to use analogue phones which connect to the TEL1 port on the back of the Superhub 3? I have a small business style network at home, and would very much prefer not to have to run seperate cabling just for phones. I'd prefer to use my existing infrastructure and utilise the line with IP phones if possible.

Has anybody managed this before or know if it's possible? I don't mind if I need to purchase a hardware gateway to convert the line.

Cheers,
Richard

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Digital Voice / VoIP

you must use analog phones. its not a voip system
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin’s phone service is 21CV. It is not VoIP, & does not use the internet. Voice traffic is carried on a separate RF channel to your broadband service back to Virgin’s local headend exchange. The service only works with standard landline phones.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@richardshughes

It is not uncommon to carry analogue voice over structured cabling and then use a suitable adapter at the final socket outlets to connect an analogue phone. No need to run separate telephone wiring.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/rj45.htm

0 Kudos