cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Switchover and Early Disconnection Fee

Telewestrefugee
On our wavelength

Having recently experienced the full horror of the Kafkaesque nightmare that is VM Customer Service, I am dreading my Digital Phone Switchover.

According to the engineer I met with, I will have to move my base station to the other side of the house so that it is placed next to the VM Hub. If this happens, I will not be able to use my landline in either the lounge or the master bedroom. So, essentially the landline will be useless for me.

In this situation, it may well be that I would decide to cancel my landline. So, I rang VM to discuss the costs involved. Finally, after a total of 7 hours on hold, I managed to speak with Tier 2 Retentions. I explained that I might be losing the ability to use the landline in the most important locations in my house. However, I was told that I would still need to pay an early disconnection fee if I wanted to cancel my landline.

How can this be legal? VM will have changed my service and essentially made it worthless to me. But I would still have to a large fee to cancel a worthless service!

If anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would be delighted to hear your experiences.

16 REPLIES 16

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Telewestrefugee,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for any issues faced with this switchover, can I ask to confirm was this an appointment to co-link the two devices?

As our team should be able to get a technician sent to ensure the landline is within a comfortable spot.

Regards,

Kain

Telewestrefugee
On our wavelength

Hi Kain

I just want to discuss the legal situation at the moment. If a customer goes through the Digital Switchover and the landline doesn't work as well as before, will they need to pay the Early Disconnection Fee, if they decide to cancel the landline?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there,

Every customer will have a right to cancel period before the switchover, if it's over that time then you may be subject to disconnection fees depending on fault etc.

Regards,

Kain

Here are some options for when the hub is not next to your phone during switchover.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Using-extension-phones-after-switch-to-fibre/m-p/541...

Shouldn't need you to cancel your landline. There is usually some combo of options from the above to keep your phones working in the places you need/want them.

The usual options are:

Change your phone connection arrangements as above or;

When you get the notification letter about the switchover, past topics have mentioned there is a time-limited window (30 days) in which you can cancel your VM services and leave VM with no EDF.

I believe the option is to leave, rather than change package, with no EDF as a result of VM changing things 'not exclusively to your benefit'

T&Cs section N current version is below for the full text

https://prod.ctassets.virginmedia.com/uploads/Terms_and_Conditions_TV_Fibre_and_Phone_FROM_01_MAY_20...

Thank you again, Kain.

Could you please just give me a bit more detail of the process for a customer going through a scheduled migration to Digital Phone?

Say I am still under my current contract, which is for broadband and a landline phone. The rolling contract price is £68.25, but I receive discounts of £22.00 because I have a fixed term, so I pay £46.25.

Would I have right to cancel just the landline service? If I did that, would there be an EDF? Would I keep my discounts after cancelling the phone service?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That also can be dependent on whether the discounts are eligible for the 2/3 services you have.

The team however would be able to review the package for you and advise the price after the disconnection if it was to happen.

Regards,

Kain

I also asked about the EDF. If I go through a scheduled migration to Digital Phone, you mentioned there would be a period when I have a right to cancel. Does this mean I could cancel just my phone service? In that situation, would there be an Early Disconnection Fee?

Thanks, goslow

I would really like to know what one of those letters actually says! I have been looking through the posts on the Switchover forum but haven't found any mention of the cancellation rules. Do you recall any specific posts which might cover this issue?

Hi Kain

I actually think the most helpful thing for me, is if you would simply post the text of the right to cancel, which every customer receives as part of the switchover process. Then I will be able to see exactly how it works.