cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defer landline fibre switchover?

Balberyth
Tuning in

Does anyone know if it's possible to delay or defer the fibre switchover date for the landline? I won't be home around the switchover date, which means I can't change the connection over and devices will lose the phone line. Similarly I can't just change it in advance, or they'll lose connection until the switchover.

I have tried calling the helpdesk, but the person I spoke to was far short of helpful. 

I have questions and concerns anyway, as realistically the only reason I keep my landline these days is for my house alarm to dial out if need be, including when the power is out - as the alarm has battery backup, it'll lose IP connectivity at that point, so the landline is a good backup. Given the new fibre option will also be out of action if I lose power or broadband and the fact my router is nowhere near the alarm, I'm not happy with the forced change. When I tried asking what the options were I was just repeatedly told I'd need to check with "my handset provider for compatibility". 

No amount of pointing out it was nothing to do with my handset helped, or that even if so, compatibility wouldn't help much with the alarm suddenly being nowhere near a phone connection (it is currently right by one of my Virgin landline phone points)

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Balberyth,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble trying to arrange a reschedule of your switchover to 21CV for landline, which is when it operates via your broadband/router connection. Have you received a letter confirming the date of the switchover happening in your area? If so, the date detailed on there would be the latest we can push it back to.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Yes, I have received notification of the date, which is why I know the date is of no use to me.

Well, in fact you did say 'letter' though, so no. I had a text message from them giving me a date when I would be switched over and I've had the adapter through, which had no letter and no date, but I'm assuming the text message date is the one as I've had nothing else and no real detail.

Hi @Balberyth,

Thanks for the prompt response and for expanding on the situation. The date on the text message would be the same; it's essentially the date that the switchover will be performed in your area for all properties, so we can't push it back beyond that date I'm afraid.

Would an earlier date work? If so, it may be possible to bring it forward though we wouldn't be able to guarantee.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Brought forward might help, but I'll still then need to solve the location issues. Thanks for letting me know it might be possible though, so I'll give calling to discuss a go again.

Hi @Balberyth,

We may be able to assist you from here to save you from calling. I'll send you a private message in a moment so that we can investigate and advise further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team