Menu
Alliebatch
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Default payment

I need someone to contact me about a default payment from 1997 that I wasn’t aware of until I had a credit check done. This obviously impacting on my credit score. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Default payment

A default from 1997 shouldn't affect your credit score at all, because as a good general rule, the credit reference agencies are only allowed to keep information on file for six years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alliebatch
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I got the year wrong typical me. It’s from 2017. I have no recollection of it or how it happened as I pay by direct debit 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if you ended your account it normally happens if you cancel your DD before the final payment/charges have been paid.

you'll realy need to call in to chat about this
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you'll realy need to call in to chat about this

That would be helpful, but good luck with it.  Prayer may be more effective than calling VM at the moment (or indeed in normal times).

Be aware that if there was a default, you MAY be able to settle any outstanding debt if it hasn't been sold to a debt collection company or disappeared from VM's systems, but that won't erase the default, it'll add a flag that says "paid up three years late".  If you can establish a reason why this occurred (eg iapcyberax comment on premature cancellation of the direct debit), then you can write to the three main credit reference agencies and ask them to add a "note of correction" up to 200 words to your credit file explaining what happened. 

Do a search on "improving my credit rating UK", and stick to reputable sites like Money Advice Service, Moneyfacts and similar - don't believe companies saying that for a fee they'll repair your credit rating.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alliebatch, thanks for contacting us regarding the negative impact on your credit report, this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. Have you raised a dispute on the credit report? Can you contact the text team on 07533 051 809 so that this can be looked in to ^Chris 

0 Kudos