Menu
Tony48
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Dedicated land line Not available

In my previous home I had a Virgin set up that allowed me to have a dedicated phone line. I am elderly and a phone that works irrespective of Internet or power outage is important. My new home has the same hub as before but when the broadband went down today I couldn't make any calls.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dedicated land line Not available

Virgin no longer use traditional phonelines for new connections so if you loose broadband you will now loose the landline.  If this happens you could use a mobile phone for calls

0 Kudos
Tony48
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So - forced to buy a mobile? Us oldies love the extra expense and complication. What was the reason to discontinue the dedicated line? Certainly not for my convenience.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Probably not for your convenience, indeed, (or any other customers for that matter!) but more to do with moving to newer technology and removing the need for providers to maintain and develop the old telephone systems and network. Same sort of customer 'benefit' as smart meters for gas and electricity!

Background info. in the first few pages of the OFCOM PDF document here (which is a fairly up to date link).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/telecoms-competition-...

A simple mobile phone and pay-as-you-go SIM card can be obtained pretty cheaply for use in emergencies.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM do a Backup Power Unit, which will work when your broadband goes down, this will only allow 999 call, due to the way that the phone lines are now installed use a full digital system to the cabinet, all providers are moving over to the system. Have a look at https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf pages 35-37 explains it.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks