Menu
cgilly
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Crossed phone line?

I believe my phone line is crossed with someone else.

Since signing up for Virgin Media I have received periodic phone calls for someone else.

This has included a relative of the person they were trying to contact who read out my exact home phone number.

There have also been calls from a care agency and a wheelchair company about referrals and arranged appointments that the individual has made. I’m concerned that this person may not be receiving these important phone calls.

What can I do to investigate this and ensure my phone line is not crossed with someone else’s, or my phone number duplicated?

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Crossed phone line?

How long have you had your current number for?

0 Kudos
cgilly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Roughly 5 months

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @cgilly,

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here, 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your phone that is very strange. 

Just to confirm this is the landline you are referring to rather than a mobile? 

Has this issue been occurring for the whole 5 months or has it just been doing it recently?

When did you get your landline, did an engineer set this up for you or was it self install? 

Please do let me know, 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cgilly
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is the landline only.

It has occurred since having the phone line installed, so the whole 5 months.

Chris

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know Chris, I am going to pop you over a PM so we can look at this more closely as to what could be causing this issue. 

At the top right hand corner of your screen, you should see a purple envelope, if you click on that it will take you to PM's 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cgilly wrote:

Roughly 5 months

Are the people making these mis-directed calls all trying to get in touch with same person when they phone you?

Outside of a technical fault causing the problem, could you be getting calls for the previous user of your current VM number? Landline phone numbers are recycled from one customer to the next with a gap in between before they are reused. Alternatively someone may have mis-typed their own number when signing up to different services.

0 Kudos
cgilly
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think they’re trying to get through to same person.

At first I thought it might be the deceased previous owner of the property. However, the recent phone calls seem to be relating to recent events so I don’t think this is the case.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There have been some past topics on the forum where customers have received calls for another number which was similar / closely matched e.g.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-land-line-phone-number/m-p/4443995

If you are a new customer on a phone connection from the back of the VM hub then the 'crossed-wire' type of technical explanation seems less likely than for a conventional landline connection.

Guess you can only quiz the callers each time they ring and find out who they are trying to get in touch with and what number they were actually trying to dial and see if you can find a pattern.

0 Kudos