cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted to digital line, emergency backup kit failed

pogit1
Up to speed

After a landline fault my home phone line was converted to a digital line (against my wishes) at 1am this morning I was woken to my life line saying phone line disconnected, the installed mobile back up clearly isn’t working as it should! 

anyone else experienced this?

there is no option in the faults reporting process to declare that you have both a broadband connected phone line and an emergency backup unit that has failed.

Prettypointless emergency kit if it fails!  Please escalate this as a matter of urgency!

140 REPLIES 140

just spent another hour on the phone talking to useless off shore customer service who cannot understand let alone help.

I’m still receiving email and snail mail saying I must call to book an EBUL upgrade.   4/5 CS agents have no idea what I’m talking about they refuse to put you through to disconnections or senior staff because the system downgrades them they pass you round a small group in the same room then eventually disconnect you.  When you call back the system sees you’ve been in contact with xyz and puts you back through. **bleep**!

I cannot access or change any of my services online haven’t been able since this thread started.  I’m told I have the latest EBUL but also need the latest EBUL installing.  I’m told ebuls don’t work with other hubs so cannot go back to faster speeds which is BS it’s on the bloody manual it works with hub4 & hub 5 yet I’m still stuck on the POS 3.

How can I get thought o a department that can finally sort this crap out once and for all because as soon as city fibre finish and start install in my street I’m off and I’ll never be back.

VM customer service is BEYOND USELESS! Bring back the old system of CS agents that use the service and know how it works PLEASE!

Thanks for coming back to us pogit1 and I'm sorry to hear of your experience, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Where a telephone service during a power cut or service outage is very important it would be best to provide an independent solution.

Be that a mobile phones and / or a desk phone with a SIM card and an UPS if needed.

The more critical an item is, the more important it becomes to take full control of the provision.

@client62

that’s what Virgin EBUL is supposed to do and more importantly take any need for the vulnerable customer most unlike me would have no idea how such a system works.  

why would anyone one want to replace a system that previously worked without issue to virgins new system digital system and on top of that use an external EBUL service costing more money not to mention hassle. 

it just needs to work and customer service need to know what it is and why it’s important. 

I think I may have cracked it.

on the EBUL v3 there is both a software version.

mine is

CTL_Moto_BOD14 16-Nov-21

but  there’s also a LTE FW version and update option. 
mine is now on 

EC25EFAR06A01M4G-TEL

the update took a couple minute to download and and then load followed by a single loud beep and a onscreen message saying your firmware is upto date.

if anyone here with an EBULV3 can confirm they’re on a different firmware version that may help confirm and help others.

Note the above numbers are NOT  IMIE or SIM or Serial numbers which could identify the device so please be cautious in sharing information if you don’t know what you’re sharing. 

Thanks for coming back to us and sharing this with the community for anybody else having issues with their EBUL.

Please let me know how it goes, when you have got your hub 5 installed.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Ah @pogit1

Now it makes sense why I cannot upgrade, or even see what package we're on without viewing older bills. I was also told we can't have a hub 5 the last time I asked due to the EBUL/account being incompatible.

---

Seems lately the hub 3 we have is becoming more and more unreliable too. Doesn't help that the hub goes down at night for maintenance approx. every other week. Why is it always when you're using the service the most!

VM really should be giving people at least a weeks notice for scheduled maintenance especially given that the hubs are now being used for voice. BT are just as bad too. At least with some notice users can setup temporary backups for essential services (user defined), like phone. Too much to ask I suppose.

TV, Phone and Broadband (FTTP/RFoG) using the Hub 5 in modem mode, with a router running Openwrt.

"as soon as city fibre finish and start install in my street I’m off and I’ll never be back."

VM are thinking about buying City Fibre.

https://www.mobileworldlive.com/featured-content/home-banner/virgin-media-o2-explores-cityfibre-deal...

So sadly, you will still be in the same boat as before.

Can’t say I’m surprised it would make sense as they the only real competition. 

@mpmc wrote:

VM really should be giving people at least a weeks notice for scheduled maintenance especially given that the hubs are now being used for voice.

I don't know how much notification is done but I got notification on 30/9/22 about essential works being done on 6/10/22.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection