cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting landline to router

AjayTom
Joining in

Hello, I need help please.

I  just upgraded to anytime calls and received the new hub5 router. Internet installed and all working fine. 
I’ve never used a landline in this house and do not have a phone socket on the wall anywhere in the house.

the instructions for the hub says to plug the base unit of the phone directly to the hub using the little adapter provided. This works ok.

The hub is in a different room to where I want the landline. my house is networked. Is there a way to connect the base unit in a room using Ethernet port? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AjayTom wrote:

Apologies, it is a cordless phone with answer machine n the base. The router comes into the basement which is also my sons room. I want the base unit i my office so that I can use the phone. I have network ports in my office. Is it possibly bow to plug into one of these and connect the phone that way? 

The phone ports on the hubs are standard analogue phone ports, not data sockets, nor does he service use the internet. It is completely separate service to your internet service. What you want is a telephone line extension from the hub to where you want the phone base unit located.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AjayTom 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. Great to have you here 😊

If the hub is in a different room to where you want the landline, we can arrange for your equipment to be relocated but for this, there is a £25 non fault call out charge.

Let me know if you wish to proceed and we can get the ball rolling.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for responding. I don’t wish to relocate the router as the house is networked and all the cables for the house are plugged in to the router. I just would like to use the phone in a different room. Is this possible? 

Okay in that case, we'd advise to replace the corded telephones with cordless as the main socket will be located on the hub.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Apologies, it is a cordless phone with answer machine n the base. The router comes into the basement which is also my sons room. I want the base unit i my office so that I can use the phone. I have network ports in my office. Is it possibly bow to plug into one of these and connect the phone that way? 

No, the base station will need to be plugged into the hub.

We can however arrange for a tech to come out and make some in home wiring changes, if you are looking to change the set up. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

What would be the fee for this? 

I can get that arranged without any charges.

You can reply to my PM 📩 if you would like to proceed 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @AjayTom 
I've booked a technician for you as advised. You can find confirmation of the visit via your 👉 online account.

Let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Do let us know how the visit goes! 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AjayTom wrote:

The phone ports on the hubs are standard analogue phone ports, not data sockets, nor does he service use the internet. It is completely separate service to your internet service. What you want is a telephone line extension from the hub to where you want the phone base unit located.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks