Menu
Vickywow
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Connecting landline phone

I have been paying line rental for over 5 years and have decided to dig my landline phone out and connect it. for the first time. I have found the virgin media cable (I think) connected it to the router and the phone but it's not working. Do I need an adapter or am I doing something wrong? Presuming the cable is the one I found in the box? But I've since had a new router so has the cable changed?

Very confused now. But have checked service status and line and no faults are showing.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting landline phone

You will have to look for the VM standard phone socket on the wall to get your line to work. The phone via router method is only available for new installations or in areas where VM have done a mass transfer to the new system. If you haven't received a letter from VM about that you aren't in one of those areas.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Vickywow
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That's great thanks a lot. Presuming it's the one labelled NTL? Will try that.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cestlavie
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am unable to connect my landline to existing cable connection - I purchased a new handset for the landline and it does not have a connection for mains; the connector I purchased RJ11 does not fit the connection at the bottom of the hand set.

Can Virgin provide a connection for the landline

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

A warm welcome to our Community Forum cestlavie and thanks for posting.

Can I ask whether your phone plugs into the back of the Hub or to a wall socket? If to the back of the Hub, are you able to plug it directly into the Hub without the connector? Can you also clarify what you mean about the cable connecting to the bottom of the handset and are there any cables in the handset box?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
cestlavie
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The handset is Uvital, it came with connections from back of phone to router - the other connection was for the handset itself - the earpiece, which is fine; the phone apparently does not need to be connected to the mains, but needs to be connected to the router; they provided adaptor to connect to router, however, I need a connection from this to the phone, so I purchased what I thought was the correct connection; however, the bit that is meant to connect to the port at the back of the handset does not fit the port, so I am wondering if you can arrange to get someone to visit, otherwise I am going to have to cancel my contract which ends end of January and get the other provider to assist, as no one at Virgin seems able to or want to assist

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can you post a photo of the cable and the socket at the back of the Hub? Some phones connect directly into the Tel 1 socket but others will need a RJ11 adapter where you plug it into the adapter and then that to the Hub. Can you please check for me? Do you have a different phone to test it too?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
cestlavie
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I checked the connection for landline using my mobile - the call to virgin disconnected using mobile. I will take a picture of back of handset and attachport at back of handsetport at back of handset

0 Kudos
cestlavie
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am unable to upload picture for cable, too big details below

0.5m ADSL Ultra High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 Telephone Extension Internet Wire Network

0 Kudos