Menu
SkarBD
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a Gigaset DX800A to the Virgin FXS ports

Hello,

So I am looking to connect my DX800a via the Phone port (Not LAN) to the FXS port on the back of my virgin modem.

Is that going to be a problem? Do I need a special cable?

Thank you

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting a Gigaset DX800A to the Virgin FXS ports

TEL1 socket on the back of the VM hub is RJ11. VM should also supply an adapter (RJ11 plug to BT socket) probably as per LHS example at link below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/diagnostics/home-phone-not-working/phone-connected-hub

Your line cord from the phone would have to accommodate some combination of those possible connection options (or get your own adapter/lead).

Further considerations ...

You need to be paying for a VM landline as part of your VM package/monthly payment.

The TEL1 port on the VM hub needs to be enabled for calls (you can check it is ready by logging into the hub). New customers receive the phone service in this way but existing customers may/may not be able to get this kind of connection at present depending on their area.

The 21CV connection just emulates an analogue phone socket and should work for the majority of modern domestic phones but there aren't that many mentions of hybrid phones on the forum so can't comment on any other possible issues you might encounter for the model you have named.

0 Kudos
SkarBD
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I think I will have to try a "Simple" phone to start with and then plug in my DX800A later on.

A further question if I may. If the Virgin Router is modem mode, the phone sockets will still work?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it should still work in modem mode.

Having a simple phone for testing might be a good idea and it is useful to have a simple spare around anyway IMO. You can pick up a super-simple corded phone for about £10-ish and one with caller ID display for about £15-ish.

0 Kudos
SkarBD
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So it did work in the end. 

1. Started with a phone which connected with an RJ11 directly into the virgin router.

2. The next phone (2nd) I tried had a BT600 wall connector with an RJ11 connector in the phone. I did try the virgin RJ11 to RJ11 connector into the back of the router, which didn't work.

So tried the a virgin dongle which had a RJ11 connector into the the back of the virgin router, with BT600 and RJ11 connection options on the other end. Plugged the second phones BT600 cable into that dongle, and that phone worked.

3. The final phone (3rd one the DX800a) which was the one I really wanted to work, didn't work with the BT600/RJ11 cable I had used with the 2nd phone. By luck the original cables that had come with the DX800a were spotted (Never throw away the boxes/cables with devices 🙂 ), plugged that cable in, went through the setup phase for the DX800a for an analogue phone, and it worked.

To be a fair it was a friend who got it to work 🙂

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Great to hear you've now managed to get this working @SkarBD

Have a great day 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos