cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Hub to Landline - not in Same Room

shopping884
On our wavelength

I have been contacted by Virgin Media by SMS advising the following: Hi, it’s Virgin Media. You’ll be switched to our fibre

home phone service on 29 June. We will send

an adapter in the post to connect your phone to your Hub."

Just wanted to know how this will work in practice as my hub is not in the same room as the landline handset? 

Many thanks 👍

4 REPLIES 4

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @shopping884, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums! 👋🏼

We appreciate you reaching out to us on here for this query. 🙂
With the home phone switchover, we can book an engineer to move the hub accordingly so that the landline can plug in, this will be free of charge.

Would you like for us to get this arranged for you?
Let us know and we'll get started.

Kind regards,
Ilyas. 

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@shopping884 wrote:

I have been contacted by Virgin Media by SMS advising the following: Hi, it’s Virgin Media. You’ll be switched to our fibre

home phone service on 29 June. We will send

an adapter in the post to connect your phone to your Hub."

Just wanted to know how this will work in practice as my hub is not in the same room as the landline handset? 

Many thanks 👍

Should you not wish to move the hub to a different location, VM should be able to modify your home phone wiring to keep each item of equipment in the same location while running the existing extension sockets from the phone socket on the VM hub, post-switchover. As this involves modifying the existing home phone wiring, this is often done after the switchover has happened. This too should be free of charge from VM.

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Unfortunately, having the hub in the same room as the router is not convenient for us......

Where the hub is situated is in the same location as my home office where I connect to my work station with a Ethernet cable from the router.

Thanks for the reply @shopping884 on the forums. 

I understand it may not be the most convenient way, but if you'd like the landline near the router then it may be best to get the appointment booked so you can ensure full use of both services.
This decision is out of our control as we must switch all customers over to the new line as per government guidelines, which can be found here.

Let us know what you'd like to do.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs