Menu
SkipperOdyssey
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Configuring a Grandstream VOIP Phone

Hi,

I am trying to set up a VOIP phone (Grandstream GXP2170) for Home Office use.

My setup is as follows:

My Hub 3 is in Modem mode

My Modem connects to my Ubiquiti Pro 4 Security Gateway (Router) 

My Grandstream phone is connected via RJ45 Ethernet connection.

My Gateway (Router) assigns an IP address to my Grandstream Phone fine and gives me all the local data e.g weather and other gimmicks.  However, I am unable to get a dial tone.

The phone itself says "Account is not registered" but I don't know who I have to register it with if anyone.  I have recently had Virgin Media Oomph installed and the line was tested ok by the engineer using his phone as I didn't have the new phone at the time.

Please can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Configuring a Grandstream VOIP Phone

Good morning @SkupperOdyssey 

Thank you for your post. 

As this isn't a product that we provide there is limited amounts that we are able to advise on this other then making sure that you are connected to the VOIP service? Have you tried using a normal phone to make sure that you are?

The phone wouldn't need to be registered with us. it might be the manufacture of the phone that you would need to register it with. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
DrawnClaws
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Captain

There is one thing not clear from your question:  Do you want to set the GXP up to use with your Virgin Media "Home Phone" account?  Do you want to set the GXP to access and use another alternative VoIP provider?  I can help with the second of these.

You have your Grandstream correctly connected to give it an internet IP address.  By copying that IP address into your browser (Note: your computer should also connected to your router) you should be able to access and set the phone up.  Private Message me if you need further help.

Kind regards

DrawnClaws

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
SkipperOdyssey
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to use the new VOIP phone as my home phone line provided by Virgin Media.  I am not looking to use the VOIP phone with any other provider although I am currently as I can't find out if it is possible to use my VOIP phone with Virgin Media and the Oomph account I have.

The VOIP phones works perfectly with Yay.com but I would like to use it with Virgin as I have a Phone line with them through the Oomph package.

A normal phone works ok when connected via an RJ11 port.  I would like to use the VOIP phone to make and receive calls using the home phone line associated with my Home Virgin Media Oomph account.

Thank you.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @SkipperOdyssey

Welcome back to our Community - sorry that you're having some confusing and issues with your landline.

After locating your account we can see that you are already set up for our VOIP landline. All is showing active and working from this end; we can see it's been around 2 days since your Hub was rebooted and all signal levels are looking to be tip top.

As long as a standard handset is working in the phone socket on your Hub then your landline is working. As you are having issues with a 3rd party device only, that is not something we can advise or assist with but our Community may be able to make suggestions. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SkipperOdyssey
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Can I ask if the VOIP service is a fully fledged VOIP service?  The only phone that was tried by the engineer at the time was his own standard non VOIP phone.

Do you have any advice for connecting VOIP phones at all?  I must surely need to enter a SIP UserID and a SIP Server to connect?

Please can I have this information so I can use my landline with the VOIP phone.  The VOIP phone works perfectly well is services such as Yay.com.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The terminology is getting somewhat confused in this topic. VM use VOIP technology to bring a residential landline phone service to the VM hub but the customer receives that phone service via the 'TEL1' socket on the back of the hub. The 'TEL1' socket emulates the behaviour of a standard telephone socket and it is via that route that VM provides the landline service and charges you for it.

It sounds as if you have got your VOIP phone working successfully but AFAIK you can't use your VM residential service/account to make true VOIP calls with a true VOIP phone and be billed for that via VM. You need to be signed up with a VOIP service provider to do that who will connect and route your VOIP calls and make the appropriate charges. It sounds like you have already managed to do this with Yay.

SkipperOdyssey
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your very clear response and it was what I had expected but wanted a clear response from VM.  Shame that Virgin Media (Customer Care) don't know what they provide!

Yes I am using Yay and it is very good.  Maybe one day VM will roll out full VOIP but I reckon that may be some time off.

Thank you again. 🙂

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@SkipperOdyssey wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your very clear response and it was what I had expected but wanted a clear response from VM.  Shame that Virgin Media (Customer Care) don't know what they provide!

Yes I am using Yay and it is very good.  Maybe one day VM will roll out full VOIP but I reckon that may be some time off.

Thank you again. 🙂

All analogue switched exchanges are being retired by 2025. From then on all phone services, not just Virgin Media, will be VoIP.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The service isn't VOIP it is something called 21CV.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks