cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concern over home phone migration to 21CV

andybundy
Superfast

Hello,

I've received the text message notification of intended migration to 21cv set for 6th June, and today received the adapter.  Upon receipt of the first notification I contacted customer services to attempt to gain reassurance that my telecare system would continue to function as normal post-migration.

I was concerned because it had been raised by OFCOM that there were numerous potential problems with such equipment in a VOIP environment (ie reliance on electrical aspects of phone line).  The agent was unhelpful, and after leaving appropriate feedback I received a phone call from another agent who reassured me that the migration (for me) would be postponed until my concerns addressed.

Clearly this not happening as adapter arrived in post.  Please understand that I am not against the migration - just the lack of interaction with users like me who need (and are legally required to) get additional support. 

My concerns:

1. There seems to be no clear understanding of how the migration will occur, how and when to re-connect the master phone line connection.
  2. Therre has been no clear way (identified) of testing my telecare system, and if problems, to backout the migration for me back to the POTS line
  3. It has not been made clear how to request the cellular backup service - especially to have this in place prior to the cutover
  4. There seems to be no accommodation for continuation of the telecare service in the event of a power-cut.  The telecare device has its own integral battery backup, but would not have a functional phone line during an outage.

It has been reported that BT have postponed further migrations to their 21CV service because of failures with their migration process for vulnerable customers - with similar problems occurring that I highlight above.

VM should be fully aware that not attending to these concerns constitutes discrimination under the Equality Act (2010) which could result in legal action.  Simply telling me to find another telecoms provider does not resolve your problems (nor mine).

I await your response.

If my answer helped you, please mark it appropriately. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
Remember: the answer I give is only as good as the question asked. The more relevant information you give, the better the answer you'll receive.
10 REPLIES 10

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @andybundy,

Welcome back to our Community Forums. 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your concerns with the home phone switchover. 

We recognise that some people will have some concerns but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. 
In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a broadband fault, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most devices that are connected to your phone line (like care alarms) will be affected until the power or network’s back. Due to this, for those without a mobile phone or who may be vulnerable we do provide a back up system. You can read more on this here

If you’re using any connected devices (including care alarms) that use your phone line, you’ll need to check with the manufacturer to make sure they’re compatible with our fibre network phone line. We’ve been working with alarm and telecare providers to make sure they know about our switch to a fibre phone line. 

You can view everything you need to know about the switch over here

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello,

In the interest of fairness I have RE-read those pages and it seems quite clear that the onus is on me to ensure that everything will work after the change-over and to ensure the careline provider makes for adequate failover in the event of a power or telecoms outage on your part.  At least OFCOM have changed the priority obligation to extend to broadband as well as just POTS.

Connecting to the Superhub3 will mean re-locating the Careline unit AND my cordless base-station.  The new location is at one end of my property, not the current central point (the existing master socket is in the centre of the house).  I do have alternative (cat 6) cabling which can be patched between the Superhub3 and the existing location - but will need help from an engineer for RJ45-RJ11 adapters/connections).   This was installed during rebuilding work - but at the time I'd not anticipated being permanently stuck in a wheelchair...

So, here are the issues.

1. I will need help from an engineer, per your documentation, to check and ensure prior to the changeover that everything will work 'on the day'.  I presume your emergency lines can be pre-installed prior to 6th June?  How do I book this?  It is not documented anywhere I can see.
  2. On the day I will need to change over the connection from master socket to the adapter connected to the Superhub.  What happens if things then don't work?  Will additional engineers be available for same day repair visits?
  3. If you are unable to answer (1) and (2) above - what will your solution be?

It may seem I'm being a bit paranoid - but I've spent years of my professional life first planning complex IT related changes like this, and subsequently as the person reviewing and approving such changes.  Quite honestly your activity would not pass muster as it appears to lack any testing plan, nor back-out option.

In addition, the Equality Act (2010) requires that you make reasonable adjustments, it is not enough to say 'you will need to book an engineer' without explaining how, and when.  Your own 'accessibility and vulnerability' policy sets targets which seem to have been thoroughly ignored while planning this activity,

I'm not expecting miracles, nor to gain any service not anticipated by contractual or legal obligation.  I ask only to be treated fairly and openly, without assumptions being made.

If my answer helped you, please mark it appropriately. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
Remember: the answer I give is only as good as the question asked. The more relevant information you give, the better the answer you'll receive.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi andybundy, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I appreciate you have asked us to answer a few questions but in order to ensure I can give you informed answers, I would like to check your account. This will help us to identify what stage you are at with the migration and also book appointments if required. 

I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm some details and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Nat

Have replied to your PM separately - but while your digging into the questions I've raised, I am also curious to understand how those customers in a similar situation to me are getting through the service migration if they don't actually realise there might be a problem.  There is little information published on how the migration works, and what customers should expect on the day of the change.

With your Disabled and Vulnerable Customers in mind, how well does your migration process stand up?  Do your customer service teams have the tools in place to rapidly identify problems arising from such a migration (which might not emerge immediately)?

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy

Thanks for coming back to us @andybundy.

You can find more information about the changeover here and also here, this will answer all the questions that you have. 

Our team are full capable of identifying issues and will be able to advise any customers that have issues, what is needed. 

Regards,

Steven_L

I'm pasting in the content of a PM I received from Nat so that it is visible to any others who find themselves similarly concerned by these migrations.

Thank you for confirming Andrew. 
We have measures in place to assist our most vulnerable people during the migration. 
In any instance where a technician will be required to complete the switchover, we will provide this free of charge. 
We also offer additional equipment in the form of our EBUL to allow emergency services be dialled during a power cut or outage. 
Thanks 
Nat 

However you have missed my point of having already read those materials a number of times, failing to find the information which addressed the concerns which I'll repeat here:

1. How do we know when to switch over the connections on the day, and what happens if we cannot manage this ourselves because our home wiring/connections were built around how telephones used to be provisioned (phone socket in centre of house, VM Hub near to outside wall).

2. Presuming I've managed to reconnect my phones, what do I do if I find my phone or telecare system does NOT work?  How quickly will an engineer visit?

3. How do we apply for the cellular backup service?  This is mentioned, but not detailed, anywhere on the supplied documentation.  Timescales, etc, for installation are not published anywhere either.

4. It seem I have to re-apply to the Telecare people to have a different service installed which itself contains a cellular backup.  I suspect this will undoubtedly come at higher cost.  Will VM be reducing landline rates to reflect the lower cost of provision?

Please do take the time to read my questions - they are quite specific and highlight gaps in the published information which numerous people in situations similar to mine will find important.

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy

Hi @andybundy

Sorry to hear that your questions were not fully answered. I have let Nat know that you still have queries. Please direct any further correspondence via private message so we can look into this quicker and more efficiently for you.  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley

I appreciate that handling this matter through private messaging would be your preferred option, but I explicitly raised these questions on the forum because I was concerned that I was not the only person who has service from yourselves, and uses a Telecare system, and who had not appreciated the changes which are inferred by the 21CV migration.

You package this change as simply moving the plug from one's telephone from one socket to another.  For many of us this is not so simple, as the reassurance provided by having (and paying for) a Telecare system no longer exists, and would otherwise only be uncovered after an unpleasant situation occurred where users were unable to call for assistance.

I won't argue that to ensure coverage during a power outage requires that the Telecare provider upgrade customers with new equipment with its own cellular backup provision - but that won't be clear to the majority of older people who don't understand what the changes mean to them.

This is why I'm attempting to gain answers to these questions, and hoping that VM will retrospectively update their 21CV documentation accordingly.

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy

Evening Andybundy,

You are not alone, please read my post entitled " VOIP connection via hub to existing telephone system".

I am a retired electronics bod, and used to obtaining and acting upon technical iinformation, but obtaining the required techincal information is impossible from VM. However other posters have been very helpful.