Did you mean: 

Compatible phone for superhub 3

stevemarrington
Joining in

Anyone know what handsfree cordless phones are compatible with the superhub 3

15 REPLIES 15

stevemarrington
Joining in

Anyone know what hands free phones can be used with the v360 box.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 360 is a TV box, it doesn't use phones

douglasharrold
Joining in

Could somebody please answer the original question? Am in a similar situation, none of the compatible phones listed by Virgin seem to actually exist by the stated model numbers.

@douglasharrold wrote:

Could somebody please answer the original question? Am in a similar situation, none of the compatible phones listed by Virgin seem to actually exist by the stated model numbers.

Out of interest, where have you found the list of compatible phones provided by Virgin?

Any ordinary modern phone should work on the 21CV connection but requires the VM adapter (BT socket to RJ11 plug) to connect the BT plug on the end of the phone cord into the back of the hub.

Cordless phones are best used on the 21CV connection. Plug the base station into the hub and use cordless extensions around the home as required.

When 21CV/phone problems are listed on the forum they are usually to do with caller ID not being read properly or the phones not ringing for an incoming call. These problems usually happen with much older kit (15+ years old) or where there is an issue on an individual customer's connection.

Buy from somewhere with a good returns policy so, in the event that you do run into a problem, you can exchange the phone.

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I should expand.  Virgin engineer states that my existing phone will not work with the new hub,advised me that if I wanted my phone downstairs where the old one plugged into a virgin socket,and is accessible to my wife who has difficulty using the stairs.  I would need to buy a pair of cordless phones, one plugged into the back of the hub, the other plugged in downstairs where the original one was. (does anyone notice the irony of the word plug here?).

Searched Virgin "Help and Support"? for list of compatible phones.  Anyone want to guess the success?

Google search for Cordless phones compatible with Virgin hub 3, throws up one answer from virgin, which lists amongst others Siemens Gigaset AS200.

Search Siemens website  Not listed.

Advice from Virgin is that " most cordless phones will work,but if you purchase from anyone else, no support will be available."

SO; need to know which cordless phones set up with answerphone will work with a Virgin hub.

Hi douglasharrold,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you're having some issues with your landline phone.

In theory, most DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) phones will work with the Hub 3. However, as @goslow has kindly suggested, it might be worth checking the return policy before making a purchase, just to be on the safe side.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

@douglasharrold wrote:

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I should expand.  Virgin engineer states that my existing phone will not work with the new hub,advised me that if I wanted my phone downstairs where the old one plugged into a virgin socket,and is accessible to my wife who has difficulty using the stairs.  I would need to buy a pair of cordless phones, one plugged into the back of the hub, the other plugged in downstairs where the original one was. (does anyone notice the irony of the word plug here?).

<snip>

SO; need to know which cordless phones set up with answerphone will work with a Virgin hub.

I don't think that anyone will be able to give you a cast-iron guarantee on a compatible phone because, on the rare occasions when problems do crop up, they seem to be specific to the connection/line/phone combination of an individual customer. Popular modern phone ranges from BT, Panasonic and Siemens are regularly mentioned on here as being successfully in use by customers.

Find the phone model which you think should be suitable for its features/functions etc. and then buy from a supplier which has a good returns policy on the off chance that you do hit a problem.

Have you just joined VM or have you had to move to a phone connection via the VM hub for some particular reason?

Did the VM technician not connect up your existing extension sockets for you to allow you to use your existing phones with the hub?

The suggestion that your existing phones might not be 'compatible' could be true but that normally applies to phones from the early 2000's and before. If your phones are that old, or older, then getting new ones might be a good idea.

If your phones are not that old, and you have the adapter lead from VM like this (bottom LHS picture)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

you can plug your existing phone(s) into the back of the VM hub and test if it works correctly or not.

Another possibility is that the VM tech simply did not want to connect your extension sockets for whatever reason so has suggested you get cordless phones. VM say they will offer to reconnect existing extension sockets to the VM hub for customers but regular posts on the forum suggest that this is not a reliable process in some cases.

Goslow, Thank you for your response, Will explore the possibilities, once Virgin has finished "upgrading the service in my area" and I actually have some form of working phone line.

Existing phone old but not that much.

New hub supplied by Virgin to replace existing Virgin hub and connections.

Technician did not connect existing only virgin socket. Did fit adapter to connect existing phone direct to hub.

Hopefully they will soon connect my previous phone number supplied by virgin to my new hub supplied by virgin, so any phone is actually of any use.

Does anyone from Virgin actually act on any complaints?