Menu
Sg2760
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Compatible landline phone

A week into our virgin contract our landline phone has stopped working - no dialling tone.  Engineer called out - phone connected to hub and able to be dialled in to.  Called BT whose handset it is to be told they don’t guarantee their models work with hubs.  None of the models on the Virgin website are available and I’ve just been told they no longer offer them.  Currently on hold for Customer Service but wondered if anyone had the solution to this? 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Compatible landline phone

Hi Sg2760,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble using your landline service. Can you please confirm if the engineer advised that your current handset was not compatible with DOCSIS technology (having your phone plugged into your hub)?

I'm guessing you don't have another handset you can try - do you have a friend or other family member who's landline handset you can try plugged into your hub instead?

I'm afraid we do not offer landline handsets and so these would need to be purchased else where - it should state whether or not that are DOCSIS compatible in the manual or online under the devices specifications.

Let us know,

Beth

0 Kudos
Sg2760
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth no he didn’t say it wasn’t compatible - it’s a brand new BT 2200 Twin - digital. It was working initially but no dial tone now. BT have said they can’t guarantee their phones are compatible with hubs. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sg2760,

The landline service appears to be fine and no issues detected from this end. Did the engineer try his own landline handset in the hub to see if he was able to receive a connection and dial tone that way? If they did, it sounds like the issue is definitely with your current handset.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Sg2760
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No he didn’t - just rang the number. Going to try another handset. But odd because it’s new snd was working. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah okay, no problem.

Let us know how things go with another handset in place, if you're still having issues we can arrange a second visit for you.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is no such thing as a DOCSIS compatible handset.

There are VoIP handsets but these connect directly to the internet via the Ethernet sockets on the Hub.

Virgin is using an internal system that turns your calls into RF & transmits them across the coax network to their exchange so VoIP handsets won't work on it.

Your phone connects to the TEL socket on the hub which has an internal ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor). This should work with any standard analogue (Landline) phone or DECT cordless base station you plug in.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos