cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible Phone

karls
On our wavelength

Hi, can someone please recommend a compatible phone that will ring and work for CV21?  Not bothered what it looks like as long as it works so that I can test the line when it eventually comes live.

I've heard about some phones not ringing etc - not asking for a definitive list or the best phone in the world, just something I can order on amazon get quickly and test!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@karls wrote:

Hi, can someone please recommend a compatible phone that will ring and work for CV21?  Not bothered what it looks like as long as it works so that I can test the line when it eventually comes live.

I've heard about some phones not ringing etc - not asking for a definitive list or the best phone in the world, just something I can order on amazon get quickly and test!

Thanks!

The non-ringing problem usually applies to older phones (early 2000's and before) and 'vintage' phones (rotary dial).

A new phone should work on 21CV with no issues. If you are buying one from Amazon, you have a return option if you don't like it or there turns out to be a problem with it.

The makes most often mentioned on here which customers are using would be Panasonic, Gigaset and BT.

Many of the BT phones have a 'trueCall' screening feature built in which is effective at screening out unwanted scam callers. However, there is a current issue with some BT phones and the Hub 5 showing false 'missed call' notifications on the phone (you mention on your other topic using a Hub 4, I am not sure if other VM hubs have been implicated with the same issue). The BT phone ranges also seem to get very wide-ranging reviews online (the negative ones often mentioning poor sound quality and/or build quality/reliability issues) so best check reviews for any model you are considering buying.

Your best bet would be to find a phone you like, with the features/facilities you want, and go from there, using a supplier with a reliable returns policy in case the phone doesn't suit you when you get it or you have a problem with the VM hub connection.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@karls wrote:

Thanks!

The non-ringing problem usually applies to older phones (early 2000's and before) and 'vintage' phones (rotary dial).

A new phone should work on 21CV with no issues. If you are buying one from Amazon, you have a return option if you don't like it or there turns out to be a problem with it.

The makes most often mentioned on here which customers are using would be Panasonic, Gigaset and BT.

Many of the BT phones have a 'trueCall' screening feature built in which is effective at screening out unwanted scam callers. However, there is a current issue with some BT phones and the Hub 5 showing false 'missed call' notifications on the phone (you mention on your other topic using a Hub 4, I am not sure if other VM hubs have been implicated with the same issue). The BT phone ranges also seem to get very wide-ranging reviews online (the negative ones often mentioning poor sound quality and/or build quality/reliability issues) so best check reviews for any model you are considering buying.

Your best bet would be to find a phone you like, with the features/facilities you want, and go from there, using a supplier with a reliable returns policy in case the phone doesn't suit you when you get it or you have a problem with the VM hub connection.

karls
On our wavelength

Excellent - thank you very much for the useful information - much appreciated!

So Panasonic phones tend to have issues, is that the case?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Re-writing for clarity, Panasonic, Gigaset and BT phones are popular makes used on VM landlines.

It actually seems to be BT phones which get most mentions for problems based on my past reading of many topics. That might just be though because BT is a very popular brand of phone and just has greater numbers in use.