cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold calls on new landline

andythebassman
Tuning in

had a brand new landline as part of the virgin package. No-one has the number, yet we are constantly plagued with green energy companies cold calling. Who gave them the number? **bleep** off if virgin flog their customer numbers to third parties.

2 REPLIES 2

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey andythebassman, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this. 

Our numbers are recycled so someone in the past could of had this number and therefore when you plugged it these calls will start coming through.

If you want we can look at getting you a new number this will be recycled though or you can simply blocked the numbers please do let me know. Cheers  

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andythebassman wrote:

had a brand new landline as part of the virgin package. No-one has the number, yet we are constantly plagued with green energy companies cold calling. Who gave them the number? **bleep** off if virgin flog their customer numbers to third parties.

Firstly, there is no such thing as new numbers. When numbers are given up they are placed in a pool & are dormant for between 3 months & a year before being re-allocated to another customer. Scam calls are received when the scammers auto dial random blocks of numbers, gradually working through every possible combination looking for a response.

The latter cannot be avoided without a personal filtering device. Marketing calls can for the most part be stopped by registering your number with the Telephone Preference Service. They have an agreement with some companies to take numbers off of cold call lists.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks