cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check phone line message

Shens
Joining in

No dial tone and although the phone rings in it's not connecting when I answer. 

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Shens

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the phone line issue.

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo. Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This may include:
• Other telephones 
• Personal Computers 
• Faxes 
• Modems 
• Satellite TV digiboxes 
• Micro-filters 
• ADSL modem or router 
Looking at the above, is it more or less than 3?
Finally, please see if the below helps fix this;
• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
• Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
• Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in. 

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Shens
Joining in

No other equipment is connected to phone.  It was working fine until Wednesday when coincidence or not your engineers were working on fibre optic upgrade nearby. 

Thanks for coming back to me.

Were you able to try - Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I have tried and nothing has changed.  The box/socket is an old ntl one but has been fine.

Ok thanks. I shall send a PM now as it'll need a tech visit.

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me on PM, Shens.

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This can be tracked, amended or even cancelled if needed, in the online account - virg.in/myVM

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Have a great weekend also 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team