Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Charged for calls not made

Hi, we have been charged £1.87 for calls we have not made. We don’t use our landline at all. Apparently four calls, totalling four minutes, made on Fridays. When I called Virgin to query it, the only info I could get, was that the last four numbers were 2212, all made on Fridays. We definitely have not made these calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for calls not made

Hi JohnW108

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the phone call dispute. We can send a technician out to the cabinet to check if there is a possible crossed line. I need to let you know that if none is found there would be a charge of £99.

If you're happy to go ahead, please let me know and I'll get one booked in

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. This has happened, more or less immediately after our monthly payment has been reduced. Also when phoning for information on the calls, they were made on four different Fridays, to the same number, ending in 2212. It seems unlikely that it’s going to be a crossed line, or surely there would have been more calls. Also this problem appears to be happening to many other people. So if a technician comes and finds no crossed line, other than our being billed for £99, what happens next? As we definitely haven’t made the calls. I can’t believe that is your only response. People have even been able to change the number, when receiving scam calls on a mobile, the number can show up, for example as British Gas etc, but it is not them. Can it be possible that others can somehow use another’s landline? I can imagine that many people in the same situation are put off by the £99 and feel the same, that it’s unlikely to be a crossed line and just pay for calls they have not made.

We highly recommend that you look into this further and find out the complete phone number, as Virgin Media were unable to provide the rest of the number, only the last four digits. Find out who or what the number is, or inform us of the number and it’s highly likely that, as has happened to many others, the number does not exist.

Please inform us as to what happens next, other than our being billed for £99, if no crossed line is found. 

Regards

JohnW

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If you log into 'My Virgin Media' and go to the billing section, does that show the full numbers either on a recent bill (which can be viewed online or as a PDF) or in the section for pending charges outside of your package allowance. If so, that might give you some further info.

You are correct, this issue crops up regularly on the forums. Usually the caller has been billed for premium rate 09 or 08 numbers. There is often a repetitive pattern to the calls (either specific days or times or durations) which infers some machine operation at work. Some people have advised they don't even have a phone plugged in yet have been charged. In some case VM have refunded very quickly. Often the sums of money involved are large but even a small amount is a problem if you didn't actually make the calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnW108

Thanks for coming back to me. We wouldn't know anything until the engineer visit has been and gone I'm afraid. Would you like us to book this in?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but apparently as the charge for each call is below £0.61, there are no numbers available to be seen, just number of calls and duration . We were only able to find out about the last four digits, when phoning Virgin Media. We are not sure what to do, as we have definitely not made any calls. You mention that Virgin have refunded others. Is that after a technician checked for a crossed line? We feel it unlikely to be a crossed line, but some kind of machine, as you mentioned. We have also written to Watchdog regarding this.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Again, what happens next, other than our being billed for £99, what happens next, if no crossed line is found, regarding our being billed for calls that we have not made?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@JohnW108 wrote:

Thanks, but apparently as the charge for each call is below £0.61, there are no numbers available to be seen, just number of calls and duration . We were only able to find out about the last four digits, when phoning Virgin Media. We are not sure what to do, as we have definitely not made any calls. You mention that Virgin have refunded others. Is that after a technician checked for a crossed line? We feel it unlikely to be a crossed line, but some kind of machine, as you mentioned. We have also written to Watchdog regarding this.

Regards

A refund offered in this thread below after a technician visit

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/charged-for-numbers-I-haven-t-rung/td-p/4416584

A refund offered below after a complaint on the forum for premium rate charges

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/dodgy-call-charges/td-p/4443987

Generally, these issues disappear off to private message and the actual outcome and causes are never known on the forum.

Out of interest, does your phone connect into the back of the hub for the landline (a 21CV connection) or a regular telephone wall socket?

If connected into the back of the hub, did you happen to have any of your old extension sockets around the house wired in to work with the phone connection via the hub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnW108

This would again be determined via the tech visit. Do you wish to proceed?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ordinary phone socket.

0 Kudos