cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for calls I haven't made to an 09110 number

cool1987
On our wavelength

A bit shocked to see my billl go from around £37 a month to this months bill of £101.19.

There are 6 calls all to the same 09110 number exactly 2 minutes apart all but one last under 30 seconds.

Nobody has called these numbers but upon complaining to customer support over the telephone we were told nothing can be done and we would have to pay it anyway, even after we insisted that the calls were not made.

Is there anything that can be done about this as it's extremely alarming to be charged for calls you know you haven't made, and I have also been googling and found out this isn't the first time Virgin Media customers have had this problem, in fact i've found forum posts going back as far as 2008 of people being charged for calls this did not make.

Can someone please help?

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

09 numbers are premium rate numbers, which explains the high call charges. They have had regular mentions on here in the past in phantom call charge topics.

If you put in the full 09 number here

https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/service-checker

you may be able to identify the organisation who owns the 09 number.

Do you make use of the VM landline under normal circumstances?

Have you tested the line recently to make sure it is in working order (can you dial in/out, the phone rings, caller ID works etc.)?

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @cool1987 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear you've been incorrectly charged for telephone calls.  In regard to your statement about there being a lot of historic examples.  This was more possible historically on our old way of providing telephone lines via our copper network, which could be investigated for a crossed line.  However, if you have our 21st Century voice connection, via your hub, then there's no possibility of a crossed line.  I would like to take a look on your behalf. I am going send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lee_R wrote:

Hi @cool1987thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

<snip> This was more possible historically on our old way of providing telephone lines via our copper network, which could be investigated for a crossed line.  

This is true.

However, if you have our 21st Century voice connection, via your hub, then there's no possibility of a crossed line.  <snip>

A 21CV line does not, however, eliminate the possibility of still getting phantom call charges. About 7% of the phantom call reports I have noted in topics reported on here have had 21CV line.

Regards

Lee_R

For the OP,  it is also worth noting that some past 09 call charge topics on here have been linked to ICSS numbers (see below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Landline-calls/m-p/5110144#M3167285

Thanks for your feedback goslow, we'll certainly take the issue seriously.

Regards

Lee