Menu
Hoodeen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Charged for calls I didn’t make

Today I discovered that I have been billed for numerous phone calls that I have not made. They are over the past 2 months and all for small amounts. The only one detailed (over 50p) is to number at a time when I was at work and no one had access to my home. None of the others are detailed.

I called Virgin on 150 and spoke to a lady, she was unable to help apart from checking that I didn't have a cross line which took her about 1 minute.

I am 100% positive that the calls were not made by me and there is an issue with your network. She told me she could send someone out, but if no was fault found I would be charged £99 which is unacceptable. 

I rarely have call charges, probabley 2-3 calls in 10 years. All of a sudden they are charging me for numerous calls

I was not referred to the technical team, and had no offer of further help.

There are only 2 adults in the house. No other person has access and neither of us made the calls. They are calls to a restaurant I never use and as I said, one call was supposedly made from our number when we were both at work and there was nobody at all in the house.

It is clearly a technical fault in that we are picking up the charges for calls made from another house.

I have called my home number via my mobile, and it rings.

I am really nervous that someone is either hacking my phone or that it is a Virgin technical fault that will end up costing me money as in the meantime I am getting no help from the 150 team.

Why should I agree to pay £99 if no fault is found? I don’t trust the engineers enough and don’t have money to waste

Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for calls I didn’t make

Hi Hoodeen

Welcome to the Community, I'm, really sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your telephone service.

I've been able to locate your account to run some tests on the line and we're not detecting any errors from our end at the moment. When you use the telephone, are you hearing any noise or crackling on the line? 

Do you have any other devices connected to the telephone line? Like an alarm or fax machine etc? 

Lastly, are you plugged into the master telephone socket at the moment? 

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hoodeen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I have no alarms or fax machines.

The phone is plugged in at the main socket. An engineer has been round and checked the line but could not find any cross lines at he box - he tested the CAB which was clear.

He also changed the D Side activator, but believes that there is an issue which could be on the switch??

He also said the location of the main box was wrong on Virgins records, and that the cabinet had recently had some work on it 2 months ago, which is when the problem started.

Not sure where to go with this now as still getting calls made when I'm not making them, albeit only for a few pence each time - nevertheless, something is wrong and needs fixing.

I might ask to change number as a last resort, failing that I will arrange a complete disconnection and go to Sky and start again when my contract is up in 4 months.

Its really unacceptable to be charged for these calls, even tho its a few quid a month.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoodeen

Thanks for the response, are you using a corded handset or any other type? 

When did the engineer last come to take a closer look at this? A change of telephone number could be a good idea, you can request this by giving our team a call on 150 from any Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hoodeen
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have a cordless handset - you reckon this could be a cause?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hooden

I wouldn't have thought so, if you're still experiencing the issue and it's been a while since the engineer, I feel it would be best to arrange for a senior member of the team to come and investigate and action any work that needs completing so this is resolved. 

Let me know if that's something you want me to arrange. 

Talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
Hoodeen
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do, how do I get this to happen as my phone not even plugged in and still getting calls made and being charged. It’s causing me a great deal of concern.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoodeen

I'll help to get this arranged, I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
Franners
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hey there.

Did you ever get a fix for this? 

We’ve been having the same issue, very aware it’s not us making the calls as we never plugged a landline in. 

We have an engineer booked for next week but by the sounds of your issue that fixed nothing for you and I’m having the exact same worries you had about if the charges increase. 

Hoodeen
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I did but it took bloody ages & I had to complain to the CEO (albeit got referred to the Executive Team. The fault ended up being an issue on the line whereby signals were being sent due to a faulty connection, causing the phone to be tapped. all the numbers dialed were low numbers like 221122 & 2121112

The phone line was just tapping 1's and 2s repeatedly and calling these local random numbers. sometimes they were valid and often not.

Anyway, the sent someone who totally got the issues right away, and no call charges for me since, and I got my money back for the charged calls.

It was a total nightmare to get sorted to be fair, you just have to keep pushing them as they always say its my own fault and I must have been using the phone (which I clearly and not)

Hope you get it sorted - good luck,