cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for calls I didn’t make

Chrismclean90
On our wavelength

Hi folks, 

last week I realised on MyVirginMedia that there were upcoming charges for calls from my landline which I didn’t make, I know I didn’t make them as I don’t own a landline phone. 
All of the calls are for exact amounts of time and at random times of the night, so I believe it to be some kind of scam rather than a crossed line. 
I called virgin media who after telling me they couldn’t see any charges for over 20 minutes, finally seen them on my account and sent out an engineer. 
he came out yesterday and changed my phone line to my hub, which he assured me would resolve the issue. 
I just checked there and it is still happening. And the charges are mounting up. 
can anyone help at all? 

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Out of interest, what's the prefix that these calls are for? The first 5-digits.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Chrismclean90 wrote:

Hi folks, 

last week I realised on MyVirginMedia that there were upcoming charges for calls from my landline which I didn’t make, I know I didn’t make them as I don’t own a landline phone. 
All of the calls are for exact amounts of time and at random times of the night, so I believe it to be some kind of scam rather than a crossed line. 
I called virgin media who after telling me they couldn’t see any charges for over 20 minutes, finally seen them on my account and sent out an engineer. 
he came out yesterday and changed my phone line to my hub, which he assured me would resolve the issue. 
I just checked there and it is still happening. And the charges are mounting up. 
can anyone help at all? 

The default explanation for these 'phantom charges' is a 'crossed line' on a conventional telephone line. VM's 'solution' of converting to a 21CV does not always seem to eliminate the problem. Such as these past topics

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Getting-charged-for-phone-calls-I-have-never-made...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/I-ve-been-charged-for-calls-that-I-didn-t-make/td...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Someone-is-using-my-landline-phone/td-p/4531065

so presumably there is some other billing or back-office issue going on.

Common features of these phantom calls include the customer has no phone connected; multiple calls to random numbers at all hours of the day and night; calls of very short duration; calls to 084 and 09 numbers; calls to the speaking clock.

Coincidentally the topics about this on here often seem to come in groups at the same time. Yours is the third today about unexplained call charges.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chrismclean90,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your Landline. 

As you are continuing to have these charges, we will need to investigate this further. 

I have been able to locate your account and so what I will do is private message you so we can investigate this. 

^Martin

Hi Martin, I just replied there. 

thanks