Menu
jkett
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Charged £5+ for a call I didn't make

Hi. I'm on Weekend Calls and was checking my bill today (as I am at the end of my 'discounted 12 months' and wanted to see what could be done about it) as it had just come in and found an itemised charge for a 22+ minute call to an 0843 837 0758 on Monday afternoon - totalling upwards of £5 additional costs incurred.

My partner and I are classic Millennials in that we never use our house phone and only have it as part of the package to make the overall deal for our WiFI 200 cheaper. We never make outgoing calls and very very rarely receive incoming calls.

On searching for this number; it's been reported as Dangerous and a Scam - I was working from home on Monday afternoon and can confirm I neither made or received any landline calls, let alone a 22-minute one to a scammer. 

(tiny edit: Having checked the actual handset dial history tonight too, that number doesn't appear. As it wouldn't. Because it didn't happen.)

I used the home phone (*gasp!*) tonight to try to speak to someone about it on 150, but am getting the 'we can't deal with you at this time - *hangs up*' response.

Could someone please a) explain how this sort of thing happens - like, do I need to unplug my phone to avoid being charged for calls I didn't make? and b) resolve this charge as soon as possible please.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged £5+ for a call I didn't make

Hi Jkett, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I am sorry this situation has happened with your bill.

I am aware that it has been a few days since you posted about this, so you may have already spoken to someone about this. If that's correct please just let me know.

As for the charge, it could be multiple reasons for why the charge has appeared on your bill, from it being a crossed line to a systematic error. Either way we will credit the amount back if we find it was not a call made by you. 

Please let me know if you still need help with this.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
jkett
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Megan

Thanks for getting back to me. I have since spoken to someone (eventually - it took more than 2 hours all in of listening to George Ezra singing "What You Waiting For?" which started out as ironically funny but then lost its novelty quite quickly...) and eventually I spoke to a chap who told me Virgin would have to factor in £99 for a call-out charge for an engineer (who I know lives one block away from me!) to come out to prove I wasn't lying that I hadn't made the call. Why would I phone about it and spend 2 hours waiting to speak to someone if I knew I HAD made the call, or even that it was possible that someone might have? Do Virgin hold their customers' word in such contempt?

I had tried to say to check my previous bills or call lists when on the phone to the first guy - it is circumstantial, granted - but would at least be something to help prove I wasn't trying to con anyone out of a fiver. But the chap said it wasn't in his remit and it was 'book a £99 engineer visit for them to find absolutely nothing and potentially still pay the fiver charge', or just suck up the fiver.

It was absolutely an administrative error on Virgin's part. I just don't understand how something like that happens. Granted, it is the first time (that I've noticed!) but to then feel like you're being held to ransom for some amount of money either way and are being considered a liar from the off, when the outgoing and incoming call lists from my previous 2+ years of being a customer could help show I was telling the truth just felt a bit ...icky. Also the fact that the number listed was a well-known and oft-reported scam number made me feel even more unsettled. How can they get me when I hadn't even picked up the phone? That it hadn't even rung? Up until now, Virgin have been great in that I don't remember ever having had any spam calls get through in all the time we've had it... though we never share our landline (I couldn't even tell you it from memory...) so perhaps that's why.

Once I could feel my blood pressure rising and had been denied any recourse other than 'pay just short of a hundred quid to prove you're not a liar' and your man had had enough of me going 'But WHY?' in steadily-increasing levels of whining, I then spoke to an incredibly helpful woman in sales who helped me remove phone and TV from my package going forward and renegotiate a broadband-only contract.

I have phone and TV for one last month - during which time the phone handset and cable are entirely unplugged from the wall - and I will be keeping an eye on my last bill.

The lady in sales was an absolute dream - and I regret getting slightly angry with the first chap - but I'm sure you can understand that the situation is incredibly unsettling for a customer.

Anyway - sorted from a contract/payment perspective; but I would like to know how something like this can happen please Megan.

Thanks a mil, ~ Jen

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Jkett. 

Thanks for your reply. I'm really sorry to hear that you had these experiences when calling in. We are very busy at the moment and the team are doing all they can to get to each call, however there are periods of hold. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused when holding, and that the team weren't helpful with the call out. Have we now advised that this was a spam call that has been charged, or have we advised that it may be a crossed wire? Sometimes in the cabinet it can cross and things on our side can seem like you have made a call. 

Glad to hear that we have found you a new deal, please let us know if you have any issues with this. 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos