cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to VOIP

Uni-Tel
Joining in

When my telephone line changes from analogue to VOIP, will there be a mobile app like other VOIP providers available so I can receive my phone calls on a mobile app , or is it just fixed to the HUB only. 

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The current change is described as 21CV. Your line uses the TEL sockets on your hub, not the Ethernet.

All it actually does is replace the copper twisted pair analogue line between your house & the nearest fibre node street cabinet (where it converts to digital) with a digital link direct from your hub. Nothing else changes. It still uses a bog standard PSTN exchange like it always has done. The full VoIP switch does not happen until 2025.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Uni_Tel thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Any plans we have for the future, we'd update on here.  At this time some handsets within our mobile service do support WiFi calling.  As of yet, I'm unaware of any plans regarding your landline number.  Please see here, for everything regarding VOIP, at this time.

Regards

Lee_R

GLP008
On our wavelength

Hi Nodrogd,

Am I correct in understanding that if you have an IP phone with a base station that connects to the hub via an ethernet port configured using a SIP account connection between the hub and the phone, this should work - even though some of the features available via a 'full' VoIP setup may not be available (e.g. call forwarding, call waiting, and voicemail)?

Many thanks  

You will have whatever features that the SIP provider supplies - you would have to sign up with a third party provider to do this. But it would NOT be your VM number, because currently VM simply DON'T offer any sort of SIP provision. Although it keeps getting quoted my VM staff members as a 'VoIP' or phone over the internet or 'fibre phone' - it isn't any of these things.

If you connected a IP phone to the hub, yes it would work as long as you had service from a SIP supplier- but currently, that won't be VM.