Menu
rnold73
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Changing my landline number

Hi how do I go about changing my landline number . Since I moved in feb 2019  and moved my service over to new address, I was given a new landline number . From then I kept getting calls from a debt recovery service for someone who had obviously owned the number before it was assigned to me . I told the caller this and to take the number off there list ! . But to  no avail I constantly keep getting automated calls from said company . 
and to make things worse I’m now getting calls from an international numbef who is obviously a scammer saying they are going to cut off my internet unless I pay my bill .

how do I change my number and also go ex directory . Thanks Neal 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing my landline number

The scam calls from the international numbers are common. We are all getting them (I’ve had my number since 2000). The only way of stopping these is with a call blocker phone.

Changing numbers is also like playing Russian Roulette nowadays. Anyone with a “clean” number will take it with them from provider to provider, so what you are left with are a pool of numbers that are constantly recycled from customer to customer. There are very rarely any new numbers released & providers can only allocate numbers in the block given to them by OFCOM.

So you could effectively end up with a number that is even worse than the one you had. It may even have been an ex business number. We once had one that was used by a drug rehab clinic. I won’t describe the type of calls we ended up with there, but we persevered with it & after a couple of months the calls stopped.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@rnold73 wrote:

<snip>

how do I change my number and also go ex directory . Thanks Neal 

You have already experienced the problems of a 'new' number. They often come with their own set of historical problems because they are just recycled from a pool of past customers as advised by @nodrogd at #2 above.

If you are being pestered by automated calls from a bona-fide debt recovery company then you should report the calls to ICO.

Spam text message (SMS)/Recorded voice (automated call)/Sales call from a real person (live call)
https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/

Many spam calls from overseas are automatically generated by auto-diallers systematically dialling through blocks of telephone numbers, so even a new number may not stop this from happening.

Consider the use of a call screening device such as CPR Call Blocker, trueCall or some of the cordless phone ranges with these features which should go a long way to dealing with the problems.

If you are not already registered, the Telephone Preference Service should screen out marketing calls from legitimate companies.

Info on going ex-directory with VM here at the bottom of the page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-directory-enquiries

The forum team may be able to do this for you. They normally respond within a few days.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HI rnold73, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the number assigned, these numbers are recycled and we cannot guarantee if you change the number this will not happen. With this being said I am happy to look in to this for you. It must be said that making the number XD will only stop the number appearing in the phone book, please let us know if you would still like to change the number? Chris . 

0 Kudos
rnold73
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would really like to change the number and see whether this sorts the problem out . 
regards Neal

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We will send you a private message to get this looked into. Chris 

0 Kudos